Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New Home Vintage Sewing Machines Club

We're getting close to re-assembling the treadle cabinet. I have a question about the placement of the piece of fabric (canvas?) that is on the underside of the cabinet. I really believe it was removed at one time and put back on wrong. Is the cable that lifts the front piece - has the words New Home on it - supposed to go through that piece of fabric? It seems to make more sense to me that if it is to catch threads, etc while the machine is in use, that it would just be attached to the bottom of the piece that holds the machine head. Any thoughts? I'm really looking forward to getting this put back together. The rain is delaying my painting of the base.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    Here are a couple of "before" and "after" pics of my New Home.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the faceplate comes off or not so would love to hear from someone who has this same machine. It's a Series A. I can't seem to find anyplace where it would come apart.

The flat metal part on top is the tension! You tighten or loosen the screw to adjust the tension. I really love the Maas metal polish. Even though the metal pieces still look old they are now as smooth as a baby's bottom

Cathy,
    Is the metal polish the only thing you used to clean her up? I'm worried about messing up my decals.

Thanks,
    Patricia

Love it, did you use car paint?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/3529360186.html

here is a cool New Home for sale at a decent price....

Blog Entries

New Home

Although I prefer to use my 1890 New Home treadle, my first machine I bought was a New Home in 1967 when my son was born so we could make clothes for him. I guess 1967 makes it a vintage machine. I have use this to redo car interiors and upholster furniture and all sorts of heavy sewing.

Skip
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    I have a New Home that I am just not sure what to do with it. Not attached, she came as a package deal, she does need a new motor-at least to me because the wires are bad and I don't do wiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    dee fox
    cedar city ut and i am a fabricaholic & i have a few other addictions-scrap booking is right up there w/ fabric

I'm trying to decide if I should leave this alone or do Glenn's instructions? I did try to clean up the decals a little bit last night using sewing machine oil, but was afraid to rub too hard. There was already a little silvering before I started. I did uncover some decals that I couldn't see before.
    Name:  IMG_1604.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  118.0 KB Name:  IMG_1607.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  106.6 KB Name:  IMG_1611.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  82.5 KB

Other pictures are here - http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums17922.html

And I finally called the Janome number and the nice lady told me my machine dates to 1911.

With luck she will be all put back together tomorrow afternoon. We finished putting the top together today. Need to pick up a missing washer & nut (from my before pics it was missing from the get-go) tomorrow and a new belt. Then we can put the base together tomorrow. I'm so excited!

And only one wood screw left over! LOL

hey folks, I picked this up yesterday in an antique store for $15. I do not actually have a "New Home" machine but i felt that I should buy it before it became part of some steampunk display project...

Name:  free westing house buttonholer.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  101.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Although I prefer to use my 1890 New Home treadle, my first machine I bought was a New Home in 1967 when my son was born so we could make clothes for him. I guess 1967 makes it a vintage machine. I have use this to redo car interiors and upholster furniture and all sorts of heavy sewing.

Skip

I have this exact same model New Home. I bought it used back in 1990 and love it. Unfortunately the spring in the tension assembly broke and I can't find another one. I ordered one from the New Home/ Janome site but it didn't work.

If anyone here knows where I can find the right spring or the whole assembly I would be SO happy.
    Last edited by mcfay; 01-26-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast