Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: New Home Vintage Sewing Machines Club

I hadn't seen this thread before but it wouldn't have mattered as before Friday we didn't have any New Home machines. Now we have three...

The one that arrived Friday is a curious case. It was apparently made for New Home in West Germany and sold in Michigan in 1955 - it came with the original receipt, manuals (one for a New Home zig zag and one for a Free Westinghouse zig zag), part list for model CZ and NZ and lots of attachments. Unfortunately it also came with a broken bobbin winder bracket - part number G33004, or the whole assembly is number G34066 if someone has one lying around For the moment the bobbins can be wound on a different machine so that's not a huge deal as far as usability is concerned. After doing some scrounging around I'm pretty sure it's just a rebadged Anker RZ minus the pin cushion. The RZs seem to come up more often - though still not what you'd call frequently - so I'm hopeful of eventually finding a bobbin winder bracket replacement.

Yesterday we picked up a New National by New Home model 4477 apparently made on Mayo 18, 1904 (at least that's what the stencil says.) Fun looking machine but it's missing the shuttle. The person we bought it from had a shuttle from a different machine to test it with and it appears to work just fine.

On the way back home from picking up the 4477 we stopped at an antique store and found another one, which happens to look a lot like Cathy's from the previous post except it was electrified and in a (cheesy) case rather than in a treadle base.
    Attached Images Attached Images                  

One more tidbit about the zig zag machine. I just measured and, though I can't be sure without trying it out, it may well fit a Singer cabinet! Some of the Anker versions that I found while looking around were treadled.... Hmmmm....

Blog Entries
    Interesting. How did you get your pictures to all load on one window??? If I do that everything collapses.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Interesting. How did you get your pictures to all load on one window??? If I do that everything collapses.
    Miriam,

I use the Go Advanced button, then Manage Attachments. In the Manage Attachments screen I choose Upload files from your Computer, pick a file, press Upload and repeat for each picture. The downside of doing this (at least on the iPad) is that I haven't been able to mingle text and photographs yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
    Miriam,

I use the Go Advanced button, then Manage Attachments. In the Manage Attachments screen I choose Upload files from your Computer, pick a file, press Upload and repeat for each picture. The downside of doing this (at least on the iPad) is that I haven't been able to mingle text and photographs yet.
    oh is that it. I can get a pic to come up some times - more than one pic - no way.
    I'll try again.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Name:  007.JPG
Views: 517
Size:  128.8 KB
    Name:  008.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  139.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Name:  009.JPG
Views: 451
Size:  140.2 KB

Name:  012.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  123.5 KB

Blog Entries
    This one looks some what like a clone but there are some differences. I like the machine. It came in a bentwood case!

I was just doing some research and it seems the New Home shuttles/bobbins fit the New National. Tried it out and it seems to move freely but I'll have to actually get it threaded up before I can say for sure that it's working with the other shuttle.

I think many of the New Homes shared the same bobbins, shuttles and needles. I have a NH Mdl AB and a Greyhound New Home Mdl 30 that are completely different machines yet they use the same bobbins, shuttles and needles.
    I'm fairly sure they use the same bobbin winder too.

Joe

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast