Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: New Home Vintage Sewing Machines Club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
    My sister surprised me last night with a sewing machine...a New Home ( I don't know much about it yet...except) It has a bobbin and bobbin case and they fit my other machine! She found it for $5 at a thrift store!Attachment 368738 It's pretty dirty. It's shiny only because I started wiping it down with sewing machine oil to clean it up. I called Janome and they said it was made between 1934 and 1942. Rockford, IL. Model AC.
    I betcha it has some pretty nice internals. Clean it up - see Glenn for sprucing up the finish.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I will. I have a back log of quilts to complete, but as soon as I'm caught up, I'll be working on this one. I was so excited when she brought it over. She was talking about a Singer she had when she was in high school. 1965 ish...it was black, classic Singer, but she got rid of it and got a "new" Kenmore. I would love to find a machine for her. She doesn't remember the model or much about it, just that the ones I've collected now are reminding her of that long gone machine.

I figured out the timing for my New Home Light Running treadle today. It didn't have a bobbin case when I got it, so I really didn't know if it would ever sew. It was locked up when I got it. The rods and bushings in the bottom of the machine were not moving. After taking it apart and soaking the parts in PB Blaster, I put it back together.

Using a picture I took before I took it apart, I adjusted the bobbin "spinner". It took a little tinkering, but it is now sewing. It still needs a proper belt, but it's working. I have a rope in place of a leather belt and it slips a bit, but it's working well enough to try it out. I'm so surprised that I was actually able to get it to work. I had serious doubts for this machine for such a long time.

Blog Entries
    I figured out the timing for my New Home Light Running treadle today. It didn't have a bobbin case when I got it, so I really didn't know if it would ever sew. It was locked up when I got it. The rods and bushings in the bottom of the machine were not moving. After taking it apart and soaking the parts in PB Blaster, I put it back together.

Using a picture I took before I took it apart, I adjusted the bobbin "spinner". It took a little tinkering, but it is now sewing. It still needs a proper belt, but it's working. I have a rope in place of a leather belt and it slips a bit, but it's working well enough to try it out. I'm so surprised that I was actually able to get it to work. I had serious doubts for this machine for such a long time.
    You may find over time that you do not need to take a machine apart so much just to clean it.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    It looks like it is in great shape, very good, enjoy

I haven't had to do this since. Other machines have not been so locked up, but at the time, nothing I did loosened it up. I tried everything that was suggested and finally I just decided to take it apart. I took the whole rod out of the bottom between the gear and the bobbin spinner. I knew everything in the machine moved at least a little, but this rod did not move at all. I soaked the whole rod in PB Blaster for about a week before I got it to move even the slightest. After I got the rod out of the bushings, I had to polish it a bit with steel wool and cleaned the inside of the bushings out as well before I could get it to move smoothly without hanging up. I learned a lot with this machine!

One thing I love is that it is so LIGHT! I can hold it easily with one hand while settling it back onto its pins in the cabinet. It's a great machine now. Quiet and smooth running. I just wish I had more than one bobbin. It doesn't hold a lot, so I find myself stopping to wind a bobbin more often than with other machines.

Barb

Question How do I get the faceplate off?

Here are a couple of "before" and "after" pics of my New Home.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the faceplate comes off or not so would love to hear from someone who has this same machine. It's a Series A. I can't seem to find anyplace where it would come apart.

The flat metal part on top is the tension! You tighten or loosen the screw to adjust the tension. I really love the Maas metal polish. Even though the metal pieces still look old they are now as smooth as a baby's bottom
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    ~~Cathy~~

Name:  WP_002383.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  385.7 KBOh Cathy, it's beautiful! There has to be a way for it to come apart. While most of my machines have a screw on the left end that holds the face plate on, my Whites both have a screw that is to the right of that part of the machine that holds it all together.
    Last edited by quiltingweb; 10-23-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Name:  WP_002383.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  385.7 KBOh Cathy, it's beautiful! There has to be a way for it to come apart. While most of my machines have a screw on the left end that holds the face plate on, my Whites both have a screw that is to the right of that part of the machine that holds it all together.
    I'll have to check it out. I know that there are two screws on the same side as yours, but near the bottom instead. I was afraid to undo them in case the needle bar, etc just fell right out onto the table....lol! Thanks!
    ~~Cathy~~

One thing that has saved me several times...I take pictures of things before I take them apart...helps me figure out how to put them back together!

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast