new Kenmore

Old 11-24-2013, 06:26 PM

Default new Kenmore

I picked up a Kenmore for five dollars this summer. Finally, I have some time to look it over. It's a brown crinkly paint with a deco look to it. It ran but poorly. It was oiled and oiled and ran better and now is now noisly and slow again. I'll try to post pics tomorrow. Karen in ccold ny

ps. I don't think I'm threading it right and has a very strange looking bobbin.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:01 PM

Pictures will help a lot. I'm assuming this is a White that was made for Sears from the description. Pull the motor away from the handwheel. Does the motor run fast and quietly? If it does, good. Next push the motor in closer to the handwheel a little to increase the contact pressure between the motor's rubber drive wheel and the hand wheel. If the machine speeds up then you should probably replace the drive wheel on the motor. They're still available from Sew Classics. http://shop.sew-classic.com/Motors-a...-Parts_c21.htm
You'll need to measure your shaft diameter on your motor to get the correct one. You should also oil the machine again. Most of the oil probably drained out while it was sitting.
I just worked on a White and most of it's problems running were due to a bad drive wheel. There was also a huge ball of compacted lint between the back of the bobbin and the housing.
I hope this helps,
Rodney
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM

I ran it again today and it purred like a kitten. I love this machine. I can't thank you enough. The rubber doughnut that the wheel rests on has a hard spot and needs replaced. Thank you again!!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:13 PM

pawla,

Take a spring loaded clothes pin apart and put have of it between the motor and machine body. That will keep the drive wheel off the hand wheel.

Sometimes you can loosen the retaining screw and move the drive wheel in or out to put a smooth area against the hand wheel.

Joe