Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to me... Singer 15-91

Blog Entries

New to me... Singer 15-91

I brought home a 1952 Singer 15-91 last Friday. I've been busy giving it the spa treatment and getting to know it. Downloaded an owner's manual. Cannot get the screw to budge to lower the feed dogs. Hoping Tri-flo oil will do it's magic in time. Also, it might now show too much in the photo, but the spool pin for my spool of thread is bent. Does not seem to be bad enough to bother as I sew with it. How hard is it to remove a bent spool pin to either replace or straighten it? One more thing - the bobbin tire turns against the balance wheel as I sew. Something with the bobbin filler mechanism must not be quite right as it will not stay in a position to keep the wheel ajar from the balance wheel. ALL HELP & SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image 
    Mavis

Blog Entries
    Those pins aren't hard to get out. You might have to check the end to make sure that it is tight so that you don't use the bobbin winder, It could also be bent if it got dropped or tipped over to the side. nice machine. Tri Flow oil is the best for loosening screws, etc.

Looks nice.

The spool pin just presses into the hole, so gently turning it while pulling upwards should remove it, but be careful as to not mar the finish around the hole. The bobbin winder has a piece of wire that acts as a spring to hold the tire away from the hand wheel when it is not engaged. The wire may be broken, and will have to be replaced.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Thank's; now I'll have to check it out. (I may have dh do the spool pin so I don't goof up the finish.)
    Mavis

Blog Entries
    Why do you want to remove the feed dogs?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Why do you want to remove the feed dogs?
    She wants to lower them.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    She wants to lower them.
    AH - Tri-flow soak over night. Heat. T-F soak. Heat. The screw probably has not been used. You might need to clean it with something. There are all kinds of things that will work. Keep it off the paint. Mechanics gloves might give you a bit more grip. You might put a bicycle inner tube scrap around the screw and then try turning it with vice grips. Never force it get a bigger hammer.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

How exciting. These are really nice machines. Congratulations on your new addition.
    Thrift Stores, YES!!!.

I have a 15-90 and was sewing a bunch of layers for a purse on it today. Goes thru those layers like an ice cutter--have fun

I have a 15-91 and love love love it. I used WD-40 to loosen the screw to lower the feeddogs. I had to spray it a number of times but it finally worked. This machine sews thru anything compared to a Babylock and janome. They don't make machines like the 15-91 anymore. Paid $80.00 for mine in perfect shape.

Joanne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast