"New to me" Singer 201

Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 PM

I hear that! What gets me is all the projects that are supposed to be small that turn into huge productions. I spent most of last night and almost all of today replacing our dishwasher. LOL! That after the industrial sewing machine motor I was working on last week became a production of complete re-wiring when it was supposed to be just finding a squeak. Just once, it would be nice to have a small project stay small.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I hear that! What gets me is all the projects that are supposed to be small that turn into huge productions. I spent most of last night and almost all of today replacing our dishwasher. LOL! That after the industrial sewing machine motor I was working on last week became a production of complete re-wiring when it was supposed to be just finding a squeak. Just once, it would be nice to have a small project stay small.
LOL, this happens in life in general! Here at work we call it Project "Creep"
Old 01-06-2015, 05:30 PM

We called it scope creep when I was a business analyst. Strangely, I was better able to control it in IT than I am with these machines here. . Though maybe that's selective memory. Heck even french polishing the 201 is scope creep. It was supposed to be for parts originally!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Banned

Well, I am the IT manager so that fits! lol
Old 01-08-2015, 09:41 PM

Tammi, I just realized what a dummy I was when I responded about where I was oiling the 201! We are very judicious when it comes to overdoing it! Only oiled in the orifices intended for oil! LOL! I need to watch what I'm saying! It sure didn't come out sounding as I intended it to!

Stay warm!

Jeanette
Old 01-08-2015, 10:14 PM

Technically when we're rehabilitating machines, we do oil in places not covered in the manual because we've in effect become the SM repair guy / gal too. Oiling the presser foot adjustment screw is pretty important when it's stuck. Both where it shows in the manual and the threads. Especially the threads. For me, sometimes with a particularly stubborn machine judicious goes out the window. A perfect example of this is the 401 type machines. I'm sure some of the spots we attack aren't mentioned in the user manual.

Warm isn't an option for the next couple of days, not frozen is the best I can do. That's probably why I put 2 layers of batting in the lap quilt I'm quilting for myself starting tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:39 PM

Well, my son is fully engaged with checking out/working on the 201! Hurray! We received the foot pedal and cords so once he's finished, it'll be ready to sew!

Jeanette
Old 01-18-2015, 07:39 PM

Great News Jeanette! That machine is going to be so grateful!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:41 PM

Tammi, I am so grateful for all your help! Thank you again!

Jeanette
Old 01-19-2015, 06:03 AM

my 201 runs so quietly I am amazed every time I use it. When I bought it, I had a friend and her husband come with me as I was buying a number of machines (from widow of collector). I would have bought more but she wanted top dollar for them.. But he asked me why I was buying this old machine.. Until I ran it for him... The motor purrs and she is in beautiful condition... He understood then as he works on cars and loves the sound of a good motor.