New owner of Singer 128-23

Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 AM

Cool New owner of Singer 128-23

I won a Singer 128-33 on the shopgoodwill site. I paid 9.99 for it. It should ship sometime later this week. I really wanted one of the featherweights that was on the site but I am not yet ready to pay $200 for one (although I know that is much cheaper than most dealers charge).

I don't know what kind of shape this will be in when I get it or what parts I may need. I will post pictures when it comes in.

I know my husband will be wondering about my sudden fascination with antique machines (I recently became the owner of a 1917 White Treadle machine).

Guess I am hooked.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:29 AM

It doesn't take much to get hooked on them. A year ago I couldn't have cared less about machines, now ... I'm stumbling over them. We've got so many they are breeding and multiplying at a rabbits pace. We're now talking about moving to a bigger house so the machines can have their own rooms.

Joe
Old 07-25-2012, 10:10 AM

You'll be surprised at the weight of your 128 - it is NOT a FW. I want to sell mine, but I doubt if there's a local market and it's too heavy for me to pack for shipping. Have fun with your 128. Mine does sew a nice seam.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:21 PM

I LOVE my 128's they do not seem to realize how small they are, Personally I am using one of mine at the moment to sew a weird old Haver Sack, out of 10 oz canvas painters tarp.. and I am using a salvaged leather couch as binding.
Tough compact, NICE stitches and a little Funky, what more could you want ? ( well ok reverse, lightweight, and smoother.. and maybe a Zigzag stitch...) but I am certain that my machine will be useable long after I no longer am.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

I wasn't interested in old machines until my 18 yo Grandson was helping a friend's family move and they gave him a brand new - never used Vanderdvoort sewing machine. It is a Badged Singer 15 Clone, Made in Japan, probably in the 50s. I gave him $25.00 for lugging it home then I gave him another $75.00 because it is new and it sews up a storm. Brand new would be all I would be interested in, it is my 6th sewing machine and I could barely find room for it and a table. I have a very small house. I need to get rid of one machine that is about worn out, not very old, just used alot.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I wasn't interested in old machines until my 18 yo Grandson was helping a friend's family move and they gave him a brand new - never used Vanderdvoort sewing machine. It is a Badged Singer 15 Clone, Made in Japan, probably in the 50s. I gave him $25.00 for lugging it home then I gave him another $75.00 because it is new and it sews up a storm. Brand new would be all I would be interested in, it is my 6th sewing machine and I could barely find room for it and a table. I have a very small house. I need to get rid of one machine that is about worn out, not very old, just used alot.
I't is so funny how we become addicted to these things. There was a time I would have walked over an old machine. Then one day my DS's DMIL gave me an old 66 singer to use and to keep if I wanted it. Well I got it to sewing great and fell in love with them, so now I am the happy owner of 16 old some antique, some vintage machines. That includes the Little Featherweight I just got. I love Her so much now I am on the look out for another one, LOL. I have Singers, Morse, New Home, Kenmore, all are good machines. Love the Japanese machines, colors are so pretty, Good luck on not getting anymore, you have been bitten by the BUG!!!! They will come to oyu now, lol.....as I read someone else on here said, LOL....it is so true, well happy sewing to you and congrats on your new machine, I have a clone too, it has a butterfly on it, beautiful machine and it is a treadle. Sews great.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Smile Singer 128-23 Godzilla finish

She has arrived. It has the black slide plates. The machine is dusty and the belt is stiff. I have removed the motor and light from the machine. I will need a new power cord, since the existing one is frayed. The hand wheel turns freely and the needle bar goes up and down. So far so good. I took the machine out of the case in preparation for cleaning.

Unfortunately the bottom of the case is broken. I am wondering how to get the bottom of the case off. If I can get it off I will just have a new piece of wood cut and nail it to the frame. I will have to adjust the spacers underneath to make it level with the top of the frame.

The top of the case is faded and did not come with the key - so it doesn't latch.
I will need to purchase some more bobbins and a new shuttle (just for a spare).
Attached Thumbnails base1.jpg   godzilla.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 06:26 PM

The case bottom is busted on every one I have ever had shipped. It was put in as the case was assembled as it fits in a groove cut in to all of the other pieces. It is very thin veneer, about 1/8". The 4 other pieces of the case are glued and dowel'd together. Unless the case is very dry and falling apart all ready, it will likely be difficult to disassemble. I still try to get pictures of how it all fits together, as I seem to have a bunch that are apart.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 PM

oh nice it also appears that yours is a centennial. Take a look at the badge.a lot(but not all) of that era machines that had the blue border were centennial machines.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:01 PM

Your 128 has more shiny parts than mine does. My tension is black except for the disks and other things, too. Is your faceplate bright? Mine is striated black. That will be a nice looking machine after her spa treatment.