New to vintage machines

Old 10-23-2015, 06:34 PM

Default New to vintage machines

I searched the board but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for. So please don't bash me for not searching.

First question is I have a Free Westinghouse Round Bobbin Rotary model ALB. I need a belt for it and have no idea where to buy the correct one. Also where do I find needles for this particular machine.

Second question is I have a Singer EL 381586 circa 1956. I also need a belt for it as the one on the machine is dry rotting. Where can I buy a belt for it? The foot pedal is pretty rusty and I was wondering how to clean it up. It functions well but just want to pretty it up. I don't want to do anything to destroy or cause problems with it if I do things incorrectly.

I have purchased a book called " The Do It Yourself Guide: How to Select, Seevice, Repair and Maintain Your Vintage Sewing Machine"by Connie McCaffey.
Not sure if this is a good book to have and how accurate the information is. I don't want to do anything wrong so I decided that I better ask here before I start doing anything to them.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!'

I love these vintage machines and now I want to get them to the point of working so o can use them. TIA!! N
Old 10-23-2015, 08:02 PM

I don't know enough about Free Westinghouse machines to know which belt. The serial number for your Singer matches up with a Singer model 99K from 1956. Sew-Classic.com will have belts to fit it. Just let them know which machine you have and they will be able to tell you if you don't see your model listed on the site.

I have no recommendations about the book. Sounds like something I might like to read though.
Sorry, not much help.
Rodney
Old 10-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Banned

I believe the Free Westinghouse machine is a friction drive machine. It has a pulley that rides on the hand wheel to drive the machine, it doesn't have a belt. Sew Classic has the pulley. I can't remember the type of needles it takes but when I had a Free machine I bought needles on Ebay.

Cari
Old 10-23-2015, 10:14 PM

Hi,

Your ALB uses Free Rotary needles also known as Boye 2-1/2, CC, or CC1221. The book sounds interesting though caution is a good idea.

Jon
Old 10-24-2015, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the information. I've been reading the book that I mentioned in the OP and I'm learning a lot. With that being said, I went into this knowing absolutely zero!!! Can't wait to learn more and hopefully get at least one of them going.

This board is a plethora of information and I have a journal in which I'm taking notes. I'm so glad I found this board not only for the vintage machines forum but all the other forums as well. Everyone has been so helpful, nice and encouraging. Thanks to all that are generous enough to share their knowledge and experience with us newbies!!! I wish there was more time in the day so I could read more information here!!!!

Once again, thank you!!!!!
Old 10-26-2015, 08:00 AM

I have the book you mentioned - I'm still learning myself but I haven't found any glaring errors in the book so far. I haven't tried rewiring a motor from their instructions yet though, so I can't speak for that section.

I actually lent (semi-permanently) to a friend who inherited her grandmother's Featherweight and has been too afraid of it to do much in the way of cleaning it up and getting it ready to be used again. Since they use a FW for a lot of the photos in the book it's been easy for her to follow.