Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Newbie to Vintage Machines and to Online Forums-Help wanted >

Newbie to Vintage Machines and to Online Forums-Help wanted

Newbie to Vintage Machines and to Online Forums-Help wanted

Old 08-26-2013, 09:52 PM

Default Newbie to Vintage Machines and to Online Forums-Help wanted

I found it-a way to post a new thread. (Just took a little more digging)
So here is what I posted earlier in someone else's thread. (They probably thought I had lost my mind because it so didn't have anything to do with their thread. Sorry about that. I promise to learn quickly.)

I am new to this whole process, but I am more than willing to learn. So any tips or pointers are greatly appreciated.

I received a new "old" baby today. A beautiful fiddle base 127-year-old Singer sewing machine. It was cleaned and works as smooth as a whistle. I love sewing and quilting, and I can't wait to make a quilt top on my treadle machine, but I need some help. I have access to at least one metal base with a treadle. But I don't have a cabinet for a fiddleback machine, and I'm not sure I can find one. I'm wondering if there are directions or a pattern for making a cabinet. I have two wonderful carpenters, my husband and son, who I have no doubt could make almost anything. I also have another son who is a master craftsman with a milling machine who can make almost anything out of metal. (Aren't I lucky?) Any help with directions or a pattern would be greatly appreciated.

I also have another beautiful HSB machine that my husband and I bought at an estate auction about 30 years ago. It is has a beautiful cabinet with curved drawers. I have not seen one like it online. I am sure there are others, but the head and the cabinet are beautiful. I just got a new belt for it today as well. This cabinet has a chain mechanism in which as the top wood is lifted to the left and it slowly moves the machine into position to be used. It also has some of the attachments, but I can only speculate as to what they are for. As I quickly glanced at this forum, I saw some pictures so I know I can review but with 4230+ pages, but it may take me a while. (So any guidance or other online references would be greatly appreciated). I will try to share some pictures if I can get this to work. (Pics aren't uploading not sure what I did wrong. So any help here is appreciated as well.)

I have absolutely no business starting another project or interest. I have more than I can do in my current lifetime, but I love the history and the women who lived so long ago. I'm intrigued to think about what they could share about their life and to imagine what they were able to create with their feet and hands as they guided the fabric to become a work of art or merely an item of utility on these jewels. What a story these machines could share!
Thanks for any help you can offer. DReid
Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 PM

Hi D!
Cabinets for fiddles are going to be hard to find without the machines. Better to watch Craigslist or ebay for a set of irons, have those wonderful men that you have make a top with a cutout for the machine and holes for the belt.

In my opinion, you are NEVER too old/busy/whatever to do exactly what you want and are able to do!! If we left these old sewing machines to the youngsters, they'd have all been melted down years ago...very few young people appreciate/enjoy these old girls.

Glad you found us and figured out how to post!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 PM

Charlee,
Thanks so much for your encouragement. I'm not that young. I'm starting year 32 in education, and I hope to retire in the near future. Despite what my body seems to indicate though I'm young in spirit and have learned in the last couple of months to make the most of every day through a new adventure God has given me.

Another love of mine is a mission work in India my family has supported and participated in for over 30 years now. We'll be going back in December, Lord willing. When we were there three years ago, I helped to open a new sewing room. We unboxed brand-new treadle sewing machines for these young women to learn the trade of becoming a seamstress. It was so exciting! It was also so hard to believe that there are still brand new treadle sewing machines being made. But when you think about the big wide world outside of the US, you realize that having electricity or at least consistent electricity is not a given. In fact it is often a luxury especially in rural areas. In the time since we left, they have opened a few more sewing centers. The young women are trained in how to sew garments for both men and women, and they have had steady business without any advertising. Word of mouth and quality garments speak for themselves. I can't wait to get back and see what is happening. I would love to get my own machine operating and practice some because I would love to be able to spend a little time sewing if our schedule allows. Many of these young women have no or limited education and/or they find themselves as widows with no means for supporting themselves and any children. Providing them with a means to earn a living is truly a blessing! A brand new machine costs about $85 US dollars. We also have been able to provide fabric so they can learn, and even to start them as they begin sewing for the public. We do many other works of which I am very proud especially the educational institutions, and in fact I'm looking forward to conducting professional development for the teachers. It was a first last time as well, and it was probably the most rock star moment I have experienced as an educator. So we are very anxious to return. We have much work to do and many memories to make.

OK i will quit rambling, but I love the thought of learning more about these machines I love and combining that with my love for the mission work in India and these sewing rooms which are providing a real means for earning a living for women who so desperately need a means for support for themselves and their children.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:39 AM

Welcome also. If you need help posting photos of your machine just ask. We ALL like to oooh and aaah over each other's new finds. Charlee has given you the best advice regarding returning your Fiddlebase. You are fortunate that you have some handy men around them. Find some orphan treadle irons and put those boys to work
Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 AM

Here is another attempt to upload the pics of the new/old machine using Flickr using the URL. (Here was the URL I tried to upload-http://www.flickr.com/photos/100856921@N02/9608864418/) That didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know there are lots of folks uploading pictures because I have enjoyed.

I have tried many, many times to select the file on my computer but I get this message even though the file is a jpg file "IMG_0654.JPG: Upload of file failed.". Any ideas of what I'm doing incorrectly? (Getting mildly frustrated, but I know that by oftentimes by doing everything wrong I learn so much more and know that a breakthrough to getting it right is close around the corner. But your help is greatly appreciated. DReid
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 AM
Banned

Thank you for taking the time to learn how to do this.
Thank you for not being offended by my post in the other thread.

Welcome to the QB funhouse of knowledge!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Banned

[ATTACH=CONFIG]432496[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]432497[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails qb-image-part-1.jpg   qb-image-part-2.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 07:44 AM

I have tried all of those and I'm still getting the error messages. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, because that is exactly what I have tried multiple times. I am using a MacBook Pro. Could that make a difference? I don't think it should. I have access to a Dell when I get back to work, but I don't like doing personal stuff on it for ethical reasons, but I have done it after hours when necessary. But it will probably be a couple of weeks before I'm back to work due to some FMLA time.

Any other ideas or suggestions? I'm willing to keep trying.
Thanks, DReid
Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Banned

Sorry I missed where you posted the error. That is usually based on file size.

Try reducing the image to 640x480(ish)

Folks with dialup will appreciate it as well.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Steve, If I were to find a cabinet for an old treadle that was "fiddle-based" (got it right this time instead of fiddle backed), could the fiddle-based machine work in it or could it be adapted for the fiddle base machine. I'm digging around on Craig's list. I do have at least one set of irons and foot pedal I can access if needed from my husbands side of the family, but I'm trying to find the least complicated way for now. Wasn't sure which would be easiest to do.

Thanks also for the image size info. We'll give that a trial. (Not sure I know exactly how to do this on a MacBook yet, but another opportunity to learn something else new today.)
Thanks, DReid