Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Newbie to vintage machines with wiring question >

Newbie to vintage machines with wiring question

Newbie to vintage machines with wiring question

Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 PM

Default Newbie to vintage machines with wiring question

I talked my DH into buying me a Singer 15-91 for my birthday off of Ebay. That same day (LOL), I bid on a 301, mocha long bed....and bought it out of my quilting money. Both machines are in excellent shape, except for the cords. The 15-91 foot feed wouldn't reach the floor! I had to oil and grease the 301, but she runs beautifully now. I ordered two 123 cords, but one had a short in it, so I cut the cords off thinking I'd just rewire the old bakelite plug-in that comes apart. Then I discovered that the NEW cords weren't wrapped in black and white, they just came right through the rubber. I had very carefully saved the old cords so I would know which wire went where...duh.... So I did the best I could, plugged it in and the light came on and the machine started sewing, but I hadn't touched the foot feed! Glad there was a piece of fabric under the foot! My question is: What size wire do I need if I just go buy some two color wire? There's not a repair shop anywhere close. The other 123 cord worked fine on both machines.

I also inherited a 66 Red Eye treadle from my MIL that I'm going to try and clean up whenever I can get hubby to move it up here to the house.
Attached Thumbnails two-older-singers-001.jpg   two-older-singers-004.jpg   case-15-91.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM

Oh My, these are two beautiful machines and I am sure you can find someone who knows more than me about wiring. I have 2-301's and 3-15-91's which I dearly love. Since I have about 15 machines, I can't use them all daily but my favorites are the 301, 201, and 15-91. I have also gotten interested in the older brother and Kenmore machines.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:57 AM

I just buy black or brown, 18/2, SPT-2 lamp cord at Home Depot or Lowe's when I need to rewire a sewing machine.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 AM

Sounds like you wired it backwards - got the foot pedal on the plug end and the plug on the footpedal end. The reason you footpedal cord was so short was because it would have been mounted in a cabinet, and it only needed to reach the side of the cabinet, not the floor. that is also the reason you'll find so many machines with the cord to the pedal cut off - it was easier to do that than to unwire the pedal to remove it from the cabinet. BTW - if the pedal was hard wired, you can simply remove that and then use a double plug with the cord and footpedal in one.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 AM

Very nice - you'll love the 301
Old 08-28-2013, 12:03 PM

mlmack, does the18-2/ SP2 have individually wrapped wires? I keep cutting some of the copper strands off when I trim them back.

Macybaby, so if I just put the the double wire on the other end, will it make any difference which terminal the other two wires are attached to? Wish my oldest boy was closer. He's an electrician....Obviously, I'm not, LOL!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:13 PM

You all did well!!!! Can you see the color of my G*R*E*E*N!!!! eyes? Enjoy!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
mlmack, does the18-2/ SP2 have individually wrapped wires? I keep cutting some of the copper strands off when I trim them back.

Macybaby, so if I just put the the double wire on the other end, will it make any difference which terminal the other two wires are attached to? Wish my oldest boy was closer. He's an electrician....Obviously, I'm not, LOL!
Each wire is stranded copper, and insulated separately.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:34 PM

Had to work cattle today, but I'm going to try again tomorrow. Arcaicarcane, that picture looks very familiar by now! Thanks for the diagram. Is there a reason for that knot in the two single wires other than to make you cross-eyed as you try to follow them? BTW, I sure appreciate the help you gals and guys are giving me...Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
Is there a reason for that knot in the two single wires

Strain relief. Keeps the wires from pulling on the connector when humans trip over things....