Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Newer, basic machine?  Post here or on the sewing side? >

Newer, basic machine? Post here or on the sewing side?

Newer, basic machine? Post here or on the sewing side?

Old 11-03-2015, 06:44 PM

Funny, I thought I read somewhere yesterday that Brother was making Babylocks. Whoever it is, it's probably all the same people.
Another generation of badged machines.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:47 PM

Another thought: 4-H just started up again in October. It might be worthwhile for her mother to see if you niece can sign up with a 4-H sewing group in her area. She'll get some great sewing instruction at very minimal cost and the social environment will help keep her interested.
Rodney
Old 11-03-2015, 06:53 PM

http://www.sewinginsight.com/janome/...-18750-review/

I've never seen this machine before, just that cute smaller pink one. This one looks a lot like my Janome DC2010 (which is pretty similar to the Magnolia too). My 10 year old daughter prefers my DC2010 over any of my other machines.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Funny, I thought I read somewhere yesterday that Brother was making Babylocks. Whoever it is, it's probably all the same people.
Another generation of badged machines.
Brother does make most of the Babylock machines. In the 50s and 60s Brother was the largest maker of badged machines. Now it's Janome, though Brother does still badge some.

Cari
Old 11-04-2015, 03:35 AM

Get her a new machine. She is a kid. She wont "appreciate" an old machine. We want to encourage her sewing...not dissapoint her by offering what she will percieve as "old" and used. There are plenty of lower priced machines in the marketplace. I would probably buy from Amazon and have them ship it to her house.free shipping..direct destination. She will thrilled! Plenty of time to upgrade in the future...when she is ready.

Sandy
Old 11-04-2015, 03:48 AM

I agree with Sandygirl! The best sewing machine will be the one she uses and I hear good things about Brother ( just about the only brand of machine I don't own!) and Babylocks do have lessons at most dealerships.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

I tend to agree with the posters who suggest a new machine. Does she have anyone at all to help her set it up? The last mechanical Brother I got worked straight out of the box, really, and it has given me zero problems. If someone can set it up for her and show her the basics and remind her to put the presser foot down (the hardest thing for my granddaughter to remember) she should have very few problems. If she is going to take classes anyway, the machine shouldn't need to be "dealer specific" and could come from Amazon or a sewing place like Allbrands or Kens, directly to her. I think Amazon has the best return policies though but, not sure about that.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:26 AM

I vote for a low end Janome or Brother around $300. I've used both and enjoyed the ease, quality, variety of stitches and reliability of both. I love vintage machines but wouldn't bank on a 10 year old liking it. They like seeing fancy stitches.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:18 AM

Janome has a decent machine called the Magnolia that is touted as a great first machine. I have a Janome 2011 that would also be great for a beginner. I also had a Brother cs6000i that I used as a travel machine for a while. It was decent quality for an inexpensive plastic wonder. Too bad you couldn't find her a vintage machine that didn't need a lot of work!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:33 AM

A friend of mine wanted a small machine she could carry around to retreats and that really works well. She checked around and bought a Brother for under $100 that she said was excellent. I really don't know which machine it is but she said it had many decorative stitches and she was amazed at how well it sews. She is considered an expert quilter and she said this machine was light to carry and excellent to sew on.