Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Newspaper is a good resource! >

The Newspaper is a good resource!

The Newspaper is a good resource!

Old 04-25-2015, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

Default The Newspaper is a good resource!

The newspaper is a good resource for estate sales. We get the paper everyday. On Thursday the ads for the different estate sales are listed. In our newspaper are listings of estates hosted by individuals who do it for a living. They have a couple websites you can log on to or sign up for their newsletters/mailing lists. I can get a preview without actually going to the sale. Often you can purchase before you get to the sale by letting them know what you want. It does have to be the day of the sale. Most of these sales start at 7 a.m. I've been to some of the sales at 715 and lost out on a couple sewing machines. They usually have a list of upcoming sales. Couple weeks ahead of time. The 2 sites I go to usually have good descriptions. Each estate is of course different due to the survivors of the estate.
You just might want to check to see when the ads in your neck of the woods begin. You can also Google to see what websites are in your area. Often you can negotiate with the estate to purchase before and probably at a higher price. If you see a website, you may just want to sign up! I enjoy the heads up!!
Old 04-25-2015, 05:30 AM

If a sale starts at 7am, you had better plan on getting there no later than 6am, preferably sooner. At least that is how it was at the few I have been to.

estatesales.net is a good website for finding sales where you live.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:44 AM

This is interesting to me. I haven't got got it figured out yet but have heard people mention finding estate sales on line. I live in a small town and check the paper for yard sales and estate sales. "Estate sales" generally are larger and there is a better chance of finding a machine with all the goodies. Sometimes "estate sales" are hosted by companies that do that sort of thing, but sometimes it's just a phrase people use in their ad and can be misleading. I chased after one this week that said "estate" in the paper, and then "yard sale" in their driveway but it panned out well with a Necchi in a cabinet.

I'm going to check the link Mark, and see if their are any on-line sales in this area. Is it a sometimes there are and sometimes there aren't type thing??
Old 04-25-2015, 09:33 AM

There is usually 1 or 2 or more going on a week around here.

If you search for "sewing" on Craigslist, you will likely get a few results that are from estate and garage sales.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:38 PM

I prefer the estate sales held by private parties. I've been to a few hosted by dealers where the antiques were priced more than retail and it was obvious they had been brought to the site by the dealer instead of being part of the actual estate.
It all depends on who's hosting the sale though. Some people doing it are better than others. Some have email you can sign up for where they will send you a preview of the sale too.
I've been a garage/ estate sale junkie since I was a kid. I do brake for sales.
Rodney
Old 04-26-2015, 10:55 AM

Yes, Rodney. Unfortunately, in my experience they don't always have preview, but I have been successful nonetheless.

I am on an email list for one couple who hosts estate sales and was able to purchase a non working 319W for $5. It was sitting in the corner of the garage, not even priced. No accessories or cams & needs a good cleaning, but had controller and decent cabinet although had the standard water damage on cabinet top!

Same couple, I was able to get a Pfaff 30 treadle for half price on day 2. Head had to be replaced, as paint was entirely crackled. Original German manual. Definitely came over on the boat.

I am on another email list that netted me a Wheeler & Wilson. We did not know order of auction. 1st HH item bid on, after condo, and I barely made it. I bid without seeing it or having a number. My husband is a foot taller than I am and he was at the front door as I scooted through the garage. He nodded and I bid!

With local family owned auction houses, I have been successful, only 1 time and I paid too much.

I would love to go to farm auction, but am not necessarily looking for barn fresh machines!

Rodney, Glad you are well enough to post.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
There is usually 1 or 2 or more going on a week around here.

If you search for "sewing" on Craigslist, you will likely get a few results that are from estate and garage sales.
CL does have a yard sale category and it will have estate sales too. But you can just search 'Estate Sales with your zip code. Most agents are posting pic's and lists of things. But do get there earlier than times posted. Oh and you can do the same with Auctions and Flea Markets