Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Non vintage, pre-computer ZZ machine question >

Non vintage, pre-computer ZZ machine question

Non vintage, pre-computer ZZ machine question

Old 10-21-2012, 06:36 AM

Default Non vintage, pre-computer ZZ machine question

I got one for you. We have a Singer 4622A Merit that has 22 or so built in stitches. Got it at a yard sale for a whopping $3.00 about a year ago.
We don't use it much and when we start to sew ZZ or patterns the stitch width comes out narrow no matter where the width control is set. Then as you stitch with it you can actually watch the stitch width increase till it's at the maximum width.

I've oiled everything that moves on this machine and yet if we let it sit for a while without using it it still does this. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Any thoughts on why it's doing this, or where I might try to oil it?

Joe
Old 10-21-2012, 10:12 AM

The spot I always miss is at the top of the needle bar swing arm, where the mechanism moves to make the zigzag. There should be an oil spot there. Take the needle out, hit that spot with Liquid Wrench, then run it like heck on the widest zigzag setting its got. Some of the Liquid Wrench will dribble back out, probably an ooky brown. Clean up, hit with machine oil, run it again, see where that gets you. Alternatively, perhaps it's something on the 'inside' end of the ZZ mechanism that needs oil?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 AM

or if that does not work.....sew on a piece of scrap fabric till it is the correct width and then proceed with your project.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 PM

Mrs, J Miller has been sewing with the machine for the last couple days. Making aprons. The motor has quite a hummmmmm to it as it starts turning the mechanics but once everything is moving it gets quiet. It's getting more responsive and seems to be stitching better as well.

The one thing my wife gets frustrated about is that it has a habit of pulling the thread out of the needle when she starts sewing. This machine has an internal hidden thread take up lever and you can't see where it is.

Anyway I think a drink of Tri-Flow might be in order as my wife is using it.

Joe