Oil, oil oil!

Old 06-16-2018, 09:37 AM

Default Oil, oil oil!

I know most of you are aware of this, but for newbies, here's a reminder;
Enjoy your vintage ladies, use them like they were meant to be used, but don't forget to oil them often. I was FMQ with one of my 301s yesterday when she froze up. After I stopped panicking - the needle was jammed in the quilt and wouldn't move, I tore the machine down, oiled and lubricated it and she now is sewing perfectly and as quiet as can be. How did this happen? I oil AnnieRose - the one I normally use after every quilt, but this is her cousin, ErinRose, who has never been used much here. I should have oiled her when I switched machines. Lesson learned and all is well. Why is AnnieRose in timeout? I had to replace the tension spring and must have not done a good job because she was balking at the embroidery thread I was using to FMQ - getting loops on curves.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:42 AM

New machines are different I’m assuming as they didn’t talk about oiling when I bought mine a few years ago
Old 06-16-2018, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
New machines are different I’m assuming as they didn’t talk about oiling when I bought mine a few years ago
You are correct, though I'd have a hard time not oiling a little between annual services. That's the nice thing about the older ones - you can take care of it yourself. My newest machine is a 1973 Elna and it needs oiling.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:30 AM

I've had this happen before more than once. When you have multiple machines, you're bound to have one you use primarily, so the other ones sit waiting for their turn. When machines sit for awhile, they can freeze up. But isn't it a great feeling to know that if you give them a dose of oil, they'll spring back to life? I have both computerized and vintage mechanical machines. I love them all, but my vintage machines will probably still be sewing long after the computerized ones lose their minds.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
I love them all, but my vintage machines will probably still be sewing long after the computerized ones lose their minds.
I've known a few machines who've lost their minds. I might have to use that one at work. LOL!
Old 06-16-2018, 11:11 PM

Get one of these for oiling, it's really easy to control https://www.commandoproducts.com/pre...brication.aspx

I brought home a treadle today that was supposedly found in a field and after oiling it's moving nicely
Old 06-18-2018, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

My Juki TL98QE and Baby lock Jane both nust be oiled regularly. The two I use everyday. I have others that need to be oiled too.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
My Juki TL98QE and Baby lock Jane both nust be oiled regularly. The two I use everyday. I have others that need to be oiled too.
This surprises me about the Baby Lock as I have the Elizabeth x3 actually and my dealer tells me to Never oil them. I was so shocked. He said the only place they need oil is on the inside where He does the maintenance.
Where do you oil your BL Jane?
Old 06-19-2018, 06:10 AM

There may be more going on. The machine froze again last night, but not as bad this time. It seems to be coming from underneath, so I will oil/grease it again and hope for the best.