Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: old 27 prove capable and steady once again.

old 27 prove capable and steady once again.

Well people...here is a picture of my latest project in work. It is an adaptation of a18 th century haver sack. (Don't ask why I needed one, suffice it to say I am eccentric)Name:  IMAG0472.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  1.19 MB
    Those straps are 8 layers of folded 8 ounce canvas and all of the seems were bound with leather salvaged from a piece of furniture.the old treadle machine seemed bored with it all.I continue to be amazed at how much I like this old girl.

You are going to show us a pic of the finished project I hope. And my wife wants to know if your using a pattern and if so where did you get it.

Joe

Yes I will give some photos ( fuzzy and out of focus because I am about as good a seamstress as i am a welder ...pigeon poop comes to mind) and no... no pattern. I went to Duluth pack company and looked at their "Hatchet haversack " watched the review video by the "Pathfinder school" and bought an Cheap Painters tarp from one of the big box home improvement stores. I then decided on the dimensions I wanted and kinda doodled till I had a sketch that would work.

you would not believe how many WRONG ways there are to attach things to a bag.... seam rippers are my friend. oh plus the mistake of sewing things on the outside...and sewing the INSIDE pockets shut... I have done every seam on this thing at least twice. But hey its good practice.
    Last edited by greywuuf; 07-31-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: moronisism

It's amazing how many uses there are for canvas tarps!

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    You went to the store in Canal Park? That's a long way from Alaska! Before or after the great flood?
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    You went to the store in Canal Park? That's a long way from Alaska! Before or after the great flood?
    yeah yeah , ok. So I went to duluthpack.com.... but being from Alaska, that is as good as it gets most times ;-)

Blog Entries
    I had one of those. Do you reenact?

Well done, and done, and done. And hooray for your 27.
    Sweet Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT View Post
    I had one of those. Do you reenact?
    No I do not do reenacting, I am more of a "Historical trekker" but it is not from a scientific or scholarly stand point, it is from a teaching my Children about sustainable living/ self reliance... though to them it is just cool stuff in the woods.

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Darn, I just wanted to see if anyone could give me an update on what the aftermath is. Well, other than our friends with flooded base,ente.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast