Old cord on "new" machine

Old 02-15-2015, 10:40 AM

Default Old cord on "new" machine

I recieved another old machine that I have done no research on. My first question is,when I got it, the delivery person demonstrated that it worked, but it has an old silk type cord. Do I need to replace it if it works? Is it a fire hazard? I do not see any defects, but will not plug it in again until I hear back from some of you experts.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:35 AM

By silk, I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, not thinking it's real silk, but also not the old cloth covered cords

in this last month with all the machine I just bought is a cord like that. it look very close to new. I plan on not using it daily, but only to keep it nice and clean

butt the down side of these old cords is what you can't see, under the fabric the wire is still coated / cover with natural rubber. the natural rubber is what breaks down, then crumbles

rather than get into a long drawn out story about rubber type insulation.

you question the cord or you wouldn't ask the question.. for your own security just get or make a modern cord
Old 02-15-2015, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I recieved another old machine that I have done no research on. My first question is,when I got it, the delivery person demonstrated that it worked, but it has an old silk type cord. Do I need to replace it if it works? Is it a fire hazard? I do not see any defects, but will not plug it in again until I hear back from some of you experts.
Here is my thoughts on that.
If the insulation is not frayed, damaged, or petrified and is pliable, I'd use it.
If the insulation is petrified and you hear and feel it crack and break under the fabric cover, or it's frayed, or damaged, replace it.

I have a couple sewing machines with vintage fabric covered cords that are in good shape, I use them without worry. I bought an iron from GW that was mint. The fabric covered cord had never been unfolded and still had the manufacturers tag on it. When I straightened it I could hear and feel the rubber insulation under the fabric crack and break. Needless to say I replaced that cord.

Joe
Old 02-15-2015, 04:09 PM

I have heard that the old cloth wiring contains asbestos. Any truth to this? Not sure what asbestos looks like though I'd like to avoid first hand experience.

Jon
Old 02-16-2015, 06:38 AM

Jon,

That I have not heard of. Asbestos is a fibrous material that was used for insulation in many industries for decades.
It's main problem is that when it becomes airborne and is breathed in, it can cause lung cancer. Big law suits have been fought and won about this.

I've used asbestos years ago before this was a known issue. But I didn't breathe it in.

I get what little info I have about fabric covered cords from these sites:
{ http://www.sundialwire.com/sundialwi...veredwire.aspx }
{ http://www.antiquelampco.com/Catalog/Cord.htm# }

Joe
Old 02-16-2015, 12:29 PM

Pretty much what Joe said. If it's in good shape you can use it. If you suspect the insulation is crumbling inside then replace it. If you want something that looks vintage Sundial Wire is a good source, otherwise regular lamp cord is fine.
Rodney
Old 02-16-2015, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Jon,

That I have not heard of. Asbestos is a fibrous material that was used for insulation in many industries for decades.
It's main problem is that when it becomes airborne and is breathed in, it can cause lung cancer. Big law suits have been fought and won about this.

I've used asbestos years ago before this was a known issue. But I didn't breathe it in.

I get what little info I have about fabric covered cords from these sites:
{ http://www.sundialwire.com/sundialwi...veredwire.aspx }
{ http://www.antiquelampco.com/Catalog/Cord.htm# }

Joe

Thanks Joe,

I was able to find a pic of asbestos wiring and some interesting comments.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/asbestos_pix/8732772213/

Jon
Old 02-16-2015, 01:21 PM

enough about cords Kelly, what we want to know is what machine and where are the photos?
Old 02-16-2015, 02:52 PM

Yeah, we did forget that didn't we?

Joe
Old 02-16-2015, 03:15 PM

The OP was interested in whether the cords are safe. Should we have asked for machine pics instead?

Jon