Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: old machine

I have an old tredell singer sewing machine, anyone know where I can get a belt for this thing, it belonged to my great grandma, and I am trying to get it going it was really dirty and locked up, just been sitting around for probably 30 years !
    I am oiling it up and cleaning it, but I'm still going to have to have a belt. These old machines are heavy and tough , not near as many parts to them as these new machines. I sure hope I get it going, I think it would be fun to sew on not to mention good exercise !! I will post some pictures after i get it cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by NannaTam
    I have an old tredell singer sewing machine, anyone know where I can get a belt for this thing, it belonged to my great grandma, and I am trying to get it going it was really dirty and locked up, just been sitting around for probably 30 years !
    I am oiling it up and cleaning it, but I'm still going to have to have a belt. These old machines are heavy and tough , not near as many parts to them as these new machines. I sure hope I get it going, I think it would be fun to sew on not to mention good exercise !! I will post some pictures after i get it cleaned.
    Our local singer sewing center ordered parts for mine before.
    Try your local center and see.

I love the rag quilt in your Avatar. Nice, bright, cheery colors!

Until you can find a place to get a new belt, you can use some panty hose, believe it or now,,,that is also an emergency fix for a belt in your car...Most sewing machine repair places, and vacuum cleaner repair shops can get you a belt.

Blog Entries
    There are online sources. Here are a couple:
    http://www.sewingmachineparts.net/
    http://www.vintagesingersewing.com/

I ordered a leather belt for my niece's machine online, but I don't remember which website it was. Looks like the cost is about $8 to $12 depending on the quality of the leather, plus shipping.

I bought one off of ebay.

Ebay I found a solid leather for $7. Just search on Ebay and they will come up.

Blog Entries
    Here on the board is where to go - lots of info on how to clean a machine, and Billy, (lostn51) keeps a lot of the parts needed.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-777.htm

I buy all my vintage parts and supplies from Jenny at sew-classic.com - great prices, fast shipping and if she thinks she has something else that will work better for you, she will call and explain it and offer it to you - even if it costs less than what you've already ordered. :) Super seller.

Try Treadle Lady's website: http://treadlelady.com/
    I recommend her booklet, too. It has lots of information in it to help you get your treadle up and running.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast