Old National..

Old 11-02-2016, 07:28 AM

You may not have found the bobbin yet. If you slide the closest slide towards you may find ( fingers crossed) a shuttle ( bullet thing) with a bobbin inside. Hopefully you'll have more bobbins with your box of bits. You don't show a belt to your handwheel so Quiltingcandy has a great puzzle.
Attached Thumbnails vs-shuttle-bobbins-small.jpg  
Old 11-03-2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
You may not have found the bobbin yet. If you slide the closest slide towards you may find ( fingers crossed) a shuttle ( bullet thing) with a bobbin inside. Hopefully you'll have more bobbins with your box of bits. You don't show a belt to your handwheel so Quiltingcandy has a great puzzle.
Yes have the shuttle and only one bobbin. As for winding the bobbin.. I am working on finding a proper treadle/table to put it on. Short of that, I figured I could just make a small belt to either attach the motor to the winder, or the wheel to the winder.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:03 PM

Also, a question about finding a treadle for this. Are there different size mounting holes for the brackets which attach the machine to the table? It's hard to tell in pictures of the tables/treadles I have found.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:31 PM

Bwirth, yes, you could run a short belt from a motor to the winder, or even include the hand wheel
if you choose. If you include the handwheel you may want to loosen the knob inside it to release the cutch so all the internal machine parts wont spin as you drive the bobbin.

Mounting a machine head in a cabinet requires many measurements. Hinge brackets for the pins my be at different lengths apart. Also the hole for the machine base may be too wide, too long, have wrong corners, etc. Thankfully many machines used the same sized base. Someone might even have a list of what might fit.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bwirth1999 View Post
Yes have the shuttle and only one bobbin. As for winding the bobbin.. I am working on finding a proper treadle/table to put it on. Short of that, I figured I could just make a small belt to either attach the motor to the winder, or the wheel to the winder.
It looks like there's a spring belt on your hand wheel. If it is, it might stretch enough to wind a bobbin.

Cari
Old 11-03-2016, 07:01 PM

was thinking the belt pictured was long enough to go to a drive wheel that she doesn't have. Please let me know if I am wrong.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:01 AM

The wire belt is made to drive the winder -that is how National did it with the electric friction drive motors. That should be shown in the manual.

At least there are a lot of National made machines out there, so finding a treadle cabinet shouldn't be too hard. If you go that route, the treadle belt will also drive the bobbin winder, instead of the wire belt.

BTW - does the manual say what the initials stand for (it may on the back side)? yours appears to be a later made electric version of the IEB. I collect manuals and have not encountered one with those initials on it before, so I'm very curious.

Last edited by Macybaby; 11-04-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
The wire belt is made to drive the winder -that is how National did it with the electric friction drive motors. That should be shown in the manual.

At least there are a lot of National made machines out there, so finding a treadle cabinet shouldn't be too hard. If you go that route, the treadle belt will also drive the bobbin winder, instead of the wire belt.

BTW - does the manual say what the initials stand for (it may on the back side)? yours appears to be a later made electric version of the IEB. I collect manuals and have not encountered one with those initials on it before, so I'm very curious.
I haven't found mention of the initials meaning anywhere in the book. Through my own small amount of research it seems to be something to do with the electric motors AND the sewing machines. I say AND, because every other things I have found with the E.B.H. has a booklet which shows the motor and sewing machine integrated, but many times the sewing machine in the book is slightly different than the actual physical machine. So I am assuming it's maybe an aftermarket booklet which covers a general range of a specific brand of machine. Not sure that made sense to you all, but that's my own interpretation anyway.

On another note. I picked up a 1948 Singer 66 in really nice condition. Have to say I am confused by the bobbins though. The one in the machine is from what I can see is a domed top and bottom, no holes.. But every bobbin I can find online for the 66 has holes... Is that an issue or is it just a visual thing?
Old 11-13-2016, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bwirth1999 View Post

On another note. I picked up a 1948 Singer 66 in really nice condition. Have to say I am confused by the bobbins though. The one in the machine is from what I can see is a domed top and bottom, no holes.. But every bobbin I can find online for the 66 has holes... Is that an issue or is it just a visual thing?
Old bobbins vs. newer bobbins.

Cari
Old 11-14-2016, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Old bobbins vs. newer bobbins...
I have three different types of 66 bobbins; the oldest I've seen was in the accessory drawer of a treadle, back clamp model 66. It looked like they were made on a lathe machine from one piece metal, with only the tiny pin hole for the winder. My other Singers are 1930s to 50s, and they are made for more than once piece, very finely moulded and polished. The new ones I have bought brand new have holes in the side (I guess it's easier to keep an eye on how much thread is left), very shiny, polished, made of one piece of metal. I wish they could polish the new ones equally well in side the "hub" too, the metal is more crudely finished there and not always go on the bobbin winder. I have noticed differences when I looke at pictures of new ones, so they are not all exactly the same.