Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Singer purchase

My dad called me a couple of weeks ago and said they were previewing an estate sale and they had an old Singer. He wanted to know if I wanted it for $50. He couldn't tell if there was a decal, and couldn't find a model number. We knew it wasn't a FW, so I told him I'd pass. He gave me the address, and I said I'd look on the weekend and see if they still had it.

We went back on Saturday, and some time the machine had been marked down to $30. Saturday was 1/2 price day, so we could have it for $15. I decided to take it and see if I could refurbish it and resell it.

I've looked for pictures, and I think it's a 27. I looked on the Singer site, but couldn't tell anything by the SN. I must be missing something.

If anyone has any info on this machine, I'd welcome your expertise.

Thanks,

Darren

At one time it had the Sphinx decal
    Name:  Attachment-195568.jpe
Views: 49
Size:  91.3 KB

The inspection plates are interesting.
    Name:  Attachment-195569.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  87.5 KB

It came with a bunch of attachments, but what are they?
    Name:  Attachment-195570.jpe
Views: 48
Size:  42.3 KB

SN has been no help so far.
    Name:  Attachment-195572.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  72.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I don't know machines, but the attachment in the middle is a ruffler. I just got a FW but its off getting all pretty at the sewing machine Dr's. I can't wait to play with her and all her parts!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    My dad called me a couple of weeks ago and said they were previewing an estate sale and they had an old Singer. He wanted to know if I wanted it for $50. He couldn't tell if there was a decal, and couldn't find a model number. We knew it wasn't a FW, so I told him I'd pass. He gave me the address, and I said I'd look on the weekend and see if they still had it.

We went back on Saturday, and some time the machine had been marked down to $30. Saturday was 1/2 price day, so we could have it for $15. I decided to take it and see if I could refurbish it and resell it.

I've looked for pictures, and I think it's a 27. I looked on the Singer site, but couldn't tell anything by the SN. I must be missing something.

If anyone has any info on this machine, I'd welcome your expertise.

Thanks,

Darren
    Darren,

According to the serial number it was made in 1898. I don't know what model number it is tho. Good luck finding that out. Not bad for 113 years old.

Thanks for sharing,
    Sherryl
    Candlequilter

Blog Entries
    This site might help you visually identify the model:

http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...achines.htm#14

Wow. Looks like a nice find.

Yep...pre 1900 - here's a link to the Singer serial nos.
    http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html

That gadget looks like a ruffler to me and from what I can see of the attachments they are in pretty good condition.

You Americans are terribly spoilt you know :) your vintage machines are so cheap compared to what they are here in Australia....I never tire of seeing all your amazing finds.

Blog Entries
    I've never understood how those bobbin winders work? they are called shuttles or something aren't they? nice find,

wesing, it is not a model 27. My mom had a 27 and it did not have the ornate access plates. They were plain. That is a ruffler attachment. I've used one many times. They work great. I don't remember the decals really well on the 27, but I don't think it was the sphinx. The 27 was made about 1908, yours is older. Back in the 30s and 40s people were putting motors on their old machines. My grandmother did this to hers. Yours has the motor added so could be converted back to a treadle.

The bobbin is what I call a 'straight' bobbin. You slide it into a shuttle (shaped like a space rocket) and then slide it into the shuttle holder. Do you have the shuttle and a bobbin or 2? Where is the tension located? That could help identify the model.

But Billy or Glenn will know more than I do. Great find.

Blog Entries
    I came across this video yesterday when I was looking for featherweight stuff, I saved it because it was really interesting. I didn't realize these old machinces used a shuttle like that! Anyways, it tells how to wind the shuttle.

How to wind a Singer sewing machine long bobbin and load the shuttle the correct way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4PhAT--SKM

Your old girl was originally a treadle that someone converted with a motor. Great find!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast