Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Older Kenmore owners?

  1. #1
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Does anyone have a Kenmore 1980 Convertible? If so, have you have problems with the feeddogs?

    This machine was my mothers...and she obviously had problems since the screws holding the plate down had been stripped...the feeddogs move back and forth, and they drop slightly, but don't clear the plate, making it so that they only wiggle the fabric back and forth instead of moving it through the machine.

    Any clues? We got the plate off last night, and now have to buy new screws to hold it down again, but can't see anything that would prevent the dogs from dropping to cycle....

    I'd love to be able to use this machine!

  2. #2
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    31,246
    Blog Entries
    194
    I don't have that sewing machine, I hope you get it figured out soon!


    Craftybear

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Does anyone have a Kenmore 1980 Convertible? If so, have you have problems with the feeddogs?

    This machine was my mothers...and she obviously had problems since the screws holding the plate down had been stripped...the feeddogs move back and forth, and they drop slightly, but don't clear the plate, making it so that they only wiggle the fabric back and forth instead of moving it through the machine.

    Any clues? We got the plate off last night, and now have to buy new screws to hold it down again, but can't see anything that would prevent the dogs from dropping to cycle....

    I'd love to be able to use this machine!

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Does anyone have a Kenmore 1980 Convertible? If so, have you have problems with the feeddogs?

    This machine was my mothers...and she obviously had problems since the screws holding the plate down had been stripped...the feeddogs move back and forth, and they drop slightly, but don't clear the plate, making it so that they only wiggle the fabric back and forth instead of moving it through the machine.

    Any clues? We got the plate off last night, and now have to buy new screws to hold it down again, but can't see anything that would prevent the dogs from dropping to cycle....

    I'd love to be able to use this machine!
    Well Charlee this is technically past the vintage machine cut off date but for you I am going to include this because it is a 1977 model. And thats kinda old if you think about it, and I like Kenmores!!!

    I need the model number off of the machine because I might could get my paws on the service manual.

    Let me know and I am moving this thread to the VSMS so it will be easier for us to find!!

    Billy

  4. #4
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks Billy!

    The model number is 158.19800

    It's a cool machine, and I already have the cams for this one! ;)

  5. #5
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,845
    I have never had any problem with the feed dogs, hope you get it figured out.

  6. #6
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    I've seen some comments when I tried to google the machine's problem last night...evidently this is a common problem for this machine... :(

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    I've seen some comments when I tried to google the machine's problem last night...evidently this is a common problem for this machine... :(
    A quick fix would be to shim the plate that covers the feed dogs and raise it a tad.

    But let me look up a service manual for you.

    Billy

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1
    My Mother had a Kenmore 1980 that was passed to me and I in turn passed to my oldest daughter. It is a workhorse but she has recently been having trouble with the stitching (uneven, thread bunching underneath, and even making wierd noises.)
    I realize that the machine weighs a ton but it has been a great tool and if it can be fixed, that would be fantastic.
    Any ideas?
    Thanx so much, mcstutts

  9. #9
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Well Charlee this is technically past the vintage machine cut off date but for you I am going to include this because it is a 1977 model. And thats kinda old if you think about it,
    Billy
    Ooooooooo....my daughter (born 9/22/77) would not like to see this.....:-D :wink:

  10. #10
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by mcstutts
    My Mother had a Kenmore 1980 that was passed to me and I in turn passed to my oldest daughter. It is a workhorse but she has recently been having trouble with the stitching (uneven, thread bunching underneath, and even making wierd noises.)
    I realize that the machine weighs a ton but it has been a great tool and if it can be fixed, that would be fantastic.
    Any ideas?
    Thanx so much, mcstutts
    Welcome to the forum!!:D Hang out with us for awhile and you will soon learn how to fix your machine. This site is wonderful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.