Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: One Treadle Belt or Two?

One Treadle Belt or Two?

I posted pictures of my lovely Singer 66 that I snagged on eBay, machine head only. This weekend, I went and bought the Singer 27-4 (Sphinx decals) in a cabinet that I had been eyeballing on Craig's List and bought that one too ($75). I promise to post some pictures of it. The decals are also stunning. It was the woman I bought it from Aunt's. The only thing wrong was the belt was busted.

I know that I can use the cabinet for either machine head from my reading here. My question is, will I need to buy another belt? One for each machine I am running on the cabinet? Or will one belt work for both?

I tried searching for the answer here before posting but didn't find anything on the subject.

I love this site.

Gail

Banned
    Gail,

I've been told by a few folks here that aquarium silicon tubing makes a great stretchable "universal" treadle belt.

I've got a great source for leather, so I usually just make a belt for each one, and store it with the machine when not in use

Gail,

"MOST" Singer machines with the spoked hand wheel will use the same size belt. But each cabinet and machine can be a bit different. On my MUT treadle I've got one belt that works good on the smaller pulleys of the spoked wheels, but I had to make a longer belt for the larger pulley on the solid hand wheel.

Joe

I have 2 treadles and the belts aren't interchangeable. The one for my 66 is about and inch shorter than the one I use on my 27. It's probably some idiosyncracy of the machine/cabinet combo, but I always keep a couple of spares on hand. Sew Classics is a great source.