Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Oooops, It broke ...

Oooops, It broke ...

So I decided to be industrious on my long weekend and clean up the 1898 Singer 28 Hand crank that I bought last year. She is definitely looking her age, but she still purrs like a kitten and sews beautifully. Well, I was reassembling her and while I was attaching the bobbin winder it broke in two. Sheared clean in two along the metal bar between where the screw goes. There is nothing quite like sitting and staring at two broken pieces of 100+ year old metal in your hands. I went ahead and put the whole thing back on - however only one half of the winder seems to be working. The bobbin won't spin any more. I'm guessing I will have to buy a replacement. I have already looked on ebay with little luck - any suggestions on where else to look?

Muv
    Hello SusieQ - how frustrating!

Try http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk. Postage shouldn't be too extortionate. Otherwise I'm sure somebody will come up with a source in the US.

Are you sure the bobbin winder can't be fixed? It sounds as though the two halves are out of alignment or insufficiently secure so that there is no longer enough horizontal pressure to keep the bobbin held tight. If you post photos here people can have a look and make suggestions.

Blog Entries
    there should be some parts available on line
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Muv View Post

Try http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk. Postage shouldn't be too extortionate. Otherwise I'm sure somebody will come up with a source in the US.

Are you sure the bobbin winder can't be fixed? It sounds as though the two halves are out of alignment or insufficiently secure so that there is no longer enough horizontal pressure to keep the bobbin held tight. If you post photos here people can have a look and make suggestions.
    Thanks Muv - I will check that out. I'm thinking that it is no longer secure since the hand wheel side works correctly and the other side does nothing. I was wondering if tightening the screw a bit more to move the two halves a wee bit closer would help. I'd post a pic but my camera is on the fritz at the moment as well lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Muv View Post

Just thought I'd chime in here. Helen is great. She sent me some parts a few months back. She's very helpful.