Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
an other one,  done just for fun >

an other one, done just for fun

an other one, done just for fun

Old 01-05-2015, 09:49 PM

my mother built her own cabinet, it would hold a 401 and a kenmore 158 175,, she had the pattern drawer also...in fact two . Aaaaaaa she was 6 feet tall, she built the cabinet from her, which means it's extra tall, she would sit on a stool, like a bar stool. that way it was less effort getting up and down.

The cabinet has like an internal box in the top, so you set the machine in, while it's still in it's base, then for the Kenmore it takes another cover? false top over the singer size, some what like capt Dick shows on his web site, only this was made long before capt dick came around. it still sits in the house no one wants it.. it's way to tall lolol.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 PM

I'm sewing on this 128 tonight , using it as a treadle, very comfortable to use, the needle is very close to being center when I'm in sitting postion
Old 01-05-2015, 11:53 PM
Power Poster

That looks like fun!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:16 AM

Nice job with the 3/4 treadle. I still need to get one going for me. I have a top from an electric cabinet, but it’s not long enough to go across the treadle stand that I have, and I haven’t figured out a way to mount the top where it needs to set for the belt to line up. I may have to set a rectangle of it down into a larger top. I don’t have a router.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-06-2015, 07:18 AM

I have a stray stand with it's original top. The inset area had the wood peel off and the drawers were all but one missing. So removed the drawers sections and refinished the top and sprayed the iron works with good old Rustoleum after cleaning off some of the rust with navel jelly.
This stand held my son's box turtle tank for many years....but since turtle has gone to the Rainbow Bridge...table stand is just looking pretty at the end of my hallway.
Now I will have to find a hand crank to retro fit into the base.....
Old 01-06-2015, 02:58 PM

Don't know what I am doing wrong, I couldn't see the pics.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM

I love it. have looked for one of those for years!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by PATTIESPEARL View Post
I love it. have looked for one of those for years!
A coffee table ? LOLOLOLOLOL

I now know why we fine ( no matter what brand ) wrinkle finish machine unused stuck away in the closets. I've only used those doing test sewing. last night I was piecing. The fabric doesn't slide across there bed for beans. So the blackside now resides back on the shelf and la vinny gets front row. They both sew very nice, vinny is a little better she's broke in, ol rough skin is like new in the box.

I put the rim back on the table top. so today it looks like what it really is. a end table with it's legs cut off. having the same oak in the same finish and color. The plan is to remake a rim with a drawer face in that rim /trim. that would be a single drawer on the left side.

over the years on this site many have said they like the idea of a 3/4 machine in a treadle or hand crank. The incentive to do this came from rebuilding that Brunswick 3/4 treadle that I posted photo's of. I did make a king size quilt start to finish on that small machine and work area (top)

This has a narrower but wider top, the stand has a wider opening, much larger pedal, over all easier to sit and use. it's a comfortable machine to use..

as of today, it looks like this. tomorrow it may be a parking shed for a tractor

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505141[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0311.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 12:30 AM

That looks so nice. I really like how you did that. I'm not in to older machines like some of you, but I love looking at yours and seeing what all you have.I have 2 featherweights, my Bernina 930, a 1968 Singer Golden Touch a revised version of a Singer in a modern day treadle cabinet I purchased in the summer for $30.00, my Serger and an older Singer that belonged to my mother, I haven't checked out just what it is in ages, because it is stored in the a cabinet and I don't have room to put it out would love to be able to display it.. I do know she bought it in 1941 from the school they used it in Home Economic. It was a treadle, she put a motor on and used it like that. When we moved out of state in '59, she took it out of her treadle cabinet and we didn't keep the cabinet when we moved back. I wanted the cabinet base, but she didn't want to keep it. I regret not insisting, but it wasn't my machine I was in my early 20's and had nothing to use it for at the time. Mothers machine would look so nice done like this, if I could find an old treadle base. hopefully some day I will find a treadle cabinet and get my DH to put Mother's in it.

Last edited by Gerbie; 01-08-2015 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:51 AM

Nice job on it!