Overcoming SMAD.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:08 PM

I think it's a natural thing to become more selective or focused with any sort of collection. It's also perfectly natural to move on if you lose interest. Once you've learned all you care to learn about any interest, and the more you know the harder it is to learn anything new, it can become easy to lose your passion for that interest and move on to something else. Not having set goals or purpose for your collection can also lead to loss of interest. I've only been playing with old sewing machines a little over a year now but am already learning where my stronger interests lie. While I love the flashiness of the dashboard era machines, I don't go out of my way like I do for the older American and European made machines. The old straightstitchers (and the artwork on the machines and their cabinets) just call to me louder than the others. I am focusing on my goal of having several hand crank machines ready for next year's fair and I also want to try to assemble a good cross section of older machines to show the evolution of the modern electric sewing machine.

As I've acquired more I've also become more selective in my tastes. Admittedly budget and space concerns play a part in that as well. I try to remember to ask myself some basic questions before I buy. "Do I love it?", "What am I going to do with it?" and "Where am I going to put it?" If I have good answers to those questions along with the ever present "Can I afford it?", it comes home with me.

I already have all the functions I need in a sewing machine other than possibly a full-on industrial walking foot for leather and upholstery (which I haven't needed yet) so my decisions are based more on aesthetics than function at this point.
Rodney
Old 12-29-2014, 08:56 AM

You're all making great points -- such nice comments, too.

I hadn't thought that this was a byproduct of an inquisitive mind but I like the sound of that! I think I'll copy/paste/print and frame that statement.

I think that what's largely at work here is the process of fascination with something new -> fascination with the designs of the machines (how they look, features) -> with refurbishing (very satisfying to find something with potential and realize that potential) -> with mechanics (basic repairs). Now I'm on to actual sewing. Amazing that I still can't even sew besides running stitch tests for tension, etc.

Like you, Sunflower, I'm over impulse buying. I'm into letting someone else have the great deal. (Aren't I generous? ) I'll probably still buy now and then if I find a great, great price on a really nice machine but industrials are more expensive and take up more space, so I have to be much more selective.

And like you, Rodney, it's a need/want issue. The appreciation for old mechanical machines will never die; I'll always like these things but the need to have them is a drive I no longer feel. And I'm beginning to agree completely re. the basic black machines. I tend to really like the German-made machines and there are several I'd still like to have.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:26 PM

I have no more room at the inn...therefore no more treadles, something would have to go before I could buy another one.
Sharon in Texas
Old 12-30-2014, 09:27 AM

What is SMAD? Nice work by the way.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned

Sewing
Machine
Addictive, Attachment, Appreciation, Acquisition (Basically fill in your favorite "A" word )
Disorder
Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Sewing
Machine
Addictive, Attachment, Appreciation, Acquisition (Basically fill in your favorite "A" word )
Disorder
Thanks for clearing that up for me! Lol!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:39 PM

What cleaner did you use to get that black to shine? Very nice indeed.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Diana Lea View Post
What cleaner did you use to get that black to shine? Very nice indeed.
Thank you! Some spit, some sewing machine oil, and a little TR-3 Resin Glaze. If there are any areas with built-up dried liquid, I soak that area first in oil (or sometimes water -- it's a much better solvent -- but I avoid the decals if I'm using any water at all) and let it soften the spill, then wipe it off. The important thing is to avoid rubbing the clear coat as much as possible. Cotton balls are a good choice and old cotton underwear is also good. Make sure the underwear or towels you're using aren't from a dryer in which you've used dryer sheets -- they have scented and chemical oils in them that leave a filmy residue on the clear coat and over time will make your clear coat look clouded.