Overheated foot controller

Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 PM

Candace,

A couple last comments then I'll drop this.

I've had the controller apart. There is no contact when the pedal is up. So if there is current flowing then there's a short and it's defective.

I was sewing slowly for about 5 feet of decorative stitches. Up one side, 18", stop turn the material, across the top, about 24" or so, stop turn the material, down the the other side, 18". All of this very slowly so I could keep the pattern straight and keep the machine from eating the needle. All of this with the machine adjusted to a satin stitch feed speed. So it took quite a while.

I've had more contacts with Sew-Classic, the foot controller is out of the warranty exchange time period, so it don't matter. I'll be using it again to do a pattern chart and if it over heats again I'll just take it off, trash it and buy a new one.

As for Yahoo, I don't need the headaches that trying to navigate that format gives me.

Joe
Old 03-29-2012, 04:21 PM

OK, I fibbed. Back with another observation and question.

"IF" say the motor was tired and pulling more amps than it should, "could" that cause the foot controller to heat up?

I ask this question because I just finished maybe 20 minutes of sewing with the machine: medium speed - for me anyway, 8" sections of decorative stitches, then stop, change cams, reposition my felt piece then go again.

I felt the foot controller ..... getting warm. I felt the motor = very warm. Motor shouldn't be warm like that. It has been oiled, but I've not checked the brushes.

The story behind this machine is that the folks at Goodwill said it was broke. The motor wouldn't shut off unless you unplugged it. They were plugging the motor directly into a wall socket. The machine didn't have a cord block or foot controller. I'm wondering if they messed up the motor playing with it.

I've checked it's plaque and it's rated for 1.5 amps. The electronic foot controllers like Sew-Classic sells are only rated for 1.2 amps. So ....... I'm just thinking out loud as this old machine makes real nice decorative stitches. I'd hate to burn out the motor. Although I do have a spare.

Joe
Old 03-30-2012, 08:07 AM

I have a 201 and I find if I put the foot controller on the carpet it gets really hot!!! And if I sew slow I have to let it cool off for a while. I put a couple feet on the bottom of the controller, the old ones were gone, and I also put in on a hard board so it doesnt touch the carpet. I was also worried about the heat when I was not using it so I unplug the machine. Worried about elect. running through the cord when I am not around. It does have old wires. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 AM

Yesterday when I was sewing with the 7 Jewel I "borrowed" the synthetic heat shield my wife bought for her iron. Some kind of rubber pad with bumps on it to set the iron on. I used it for the foot controller. It seemed to help since it didn't get near as hot as it did the day before.

I also did an experiment with the motor. The original motor is a 1.5 amp motor and gets hot when sewing a lot of slow stuff. So I switched it out for my spare motor witch is a .9 amp motor to see what would happen.
Well, with the .9 amp motor, the foot controller still got hot, and so did the motor.

So, this is what I have gleaned from my experiment:
>Sewing slow, using cams and decorative stitches, puts a heavier load on the motor and electrical system than straight stitching or normal zig-zagging. This makes the motor work harder and the foot controller works harder too. The carbon pile or resistor in the controller converts unused electricity to heat, so when going slow it creates a lot of heat.
>Normally you don't play touchie feelie with the motor or foot controller when you're sewing so you don't realize how much heat they produce.
> Until smoke and flames erupt from the electrical parts, or your foot starts smoking, don't worry about it.

I do try to remember to unplug the machines too. There's no real reason to leave them plugged in.

Joe
Old 03-30-2012, 05:19 PM

I find It's real easy to plug into s surge protector or power strip, and then turn the strip off when finished. Sometimes I might forget to unplug a machine, but I rarely forget to turn the strip off.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:22 AM

In England we have to have our machines PAT tested by a qualified electrician so that we can take them to workshops etc. One of them told us that the machines are usually fine, but the testing is more for the foot pedals as that's where the problems usually begin. I've known a couple of instacnes where the foot pedal can burst into flames. We were advised to also unplug our machines from the socket, not just switch off the the switch on the wall, so that if there is a power surge your machine is protected.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:07 PM

2Chuckie2,

I've heard of them getting hot, and I've experienced it. But never heard of one catching fire. I'd like to avoid that.

What is "PAT testing"?

Joe