Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painted Featherweights at Paducah's Quilt Show

Blog Entries

Painted Featherweights at Paducah's Quilt Show

DH bought me a Featherweight a year ago and is quite familiar with them. We went to the Paducah Quilt Show this week and he saw a booth with lots of painted Featherweights - bright red, turquoise, bright colors. All were very shiny and had new decals on them. Even the foot pedals were painted to match. The man said that it cost him $300+ to have them painted and he wanted about $700 for each one.
    Nikki in MO

I can see that price if they are gilded in solid gold. Otherwise, from the standpoint of someone who has done resprays...ridiculous!

My opinion is that prepping for repainting, doing it the right way with automotive paint, decal work etc. takes a lot of time and effort. That time and effort has to be paid for.

I have had a painted FW for several years and I paid lots for it. But it was totally referbused and I love taking it places and everyone wants one. I have a collection of FW and some forsale. Mine is Purple of course.

Blog Entries
    I have 4 featherweights, 2 are black and one is shimmering green and one is a lovely shimmering blue, I paid dearly for the painted ones and to me are so worth it, I love them!!
    dare to dream

$300 is what I have seen to have a Featherweight painted. So $700 maybe, if you want it bad enough.

That price also has to include what they paid for the machine in the first place. They may get lucky once in awhile but standard price for a FW is around 300.00.
    I wouldn't pay for one, but it is because I really practical, and I'm not crazy about the FW that I do have.
    If I were younger and didn't have cancer I'd probably snap one up

I have a steel body Janome 6600...would love to see it properly painted!

and I thought the guy here asking $450 for a painted one was out of line!

My little black one will suffice... I could buy a lot of fabric for $700! And I am so spoiled with my Viking (fixing, needle up/down, self-adjusting tension, cutting button, etc.). I just have all the others, mostly, to play with and dream of the people who used them and their families they sewed for... To each his own and what ever "floats one's boat"!

I repaint the singer 301 and featherweight sewing machines and I can tell you from experience that it is a lot of hard work. It's expensive to do and it is very time-consuming. It is worth every penny that is charged...and more! Besides, they are so beautiful when repainted.
    Lynn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast