Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Panicking about FW finish... HELP! >

Panicking about FW finish... HELP!

Panicking about FW finish... HELP!

Old 03-25-2012, 01:24 PM

Gorgeous Karensue!...hope I can find that Liquid Glass in my neck of the woods!

Joann
Old 03-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I have another one waiting for Glenn's tutorial - it's a real old Singer 99 no lacquer left on it - I have seen Glenn's work and I am holding out - I think what he uses will hold up over time.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by karensue View Post
I am not good at taking photos but here goes. I put the machine infront of a window and on 2 of them you can actually see the reflection of the tree outside, which was about 15 feet away from window. But I loved the reflection on the machine from it. The machines are extremely shiny - just hard to take a photo of with the shine, in person the tree reflection is glossy.
Hubby has cleaned/polished 2 of my featherweights, so far, this nice and clean. He wants to take the 3rd one completely apart and redo it basically from the ground up.
Karen
Oooooh! That is the shine I am wanting. Hug your DH for us. Going out tomorrow to hunt up the polish and liquid glass stuff he used.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have another one waiting for Glenn's tutorial - it's a real old Singer 99 no lacquer left on it - I have seen Glenn's work and I am holding out - I think what he uses will hold up over time.
Me too, Miriam. Does he not know that we are anxiously awaiting that tutorial??? Think of all of our old girls that are waiting also.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Me too, Miriam. Does he not know that we are anxiously awaiting that tutorial??? Think of all of our old girls that are waiting also.
TAP TAP TAP - he said he was going fishing - he's been just hanging around the vintage sewing machine shop........
Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Wow, they look just beautiful! Your husband is good.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 PM

Wow that looks awesome!! He did a great job on restoring the finish. Will write down the names of the products he used to get it looking so good.
thanks for sharing
Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
TAP TAP TAP - he said he was going fishing - he's been just hanging around the vintage sewing machine shop........
FISHING, really FISHING???? OMG, sounds like my house. I bought DH a new reel a month ago and now he wants another one. Those things are spendy. I could buy at least six vintage sewing machines for the price of one of those reels. I asked him if a good piece of bamboo and a string would work just as well. Question was not received well. But he did say he needed a thing called a "down rigger". What the heck is that? Think Glenn would know? Hey Glenn, what is a down rigger and how much do they cost? If it is a lot then I will find room for a few more vintage sewing machines. Yeah!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:48 PM

karensue - that is a beautiful machine and your hubby did a fantastic job! I printed out your post about what he used and am thinking about trying to make my two babies look as pretty - mine definitely look like the poor relations compared to yours!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Power Poster

Glenn has been baiting us down at the vintage sewing machine shop - he says he is going to do a tutorial after he gets back from fishing. Some people down at the vintage sewing machine shop are praying for rain. He also says why he is doing the French polishing rather than wax.