Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A Parlor Cabinet Problem

Blog Entries

A Parlor Cabinet Problem

I bought this Singer cabinet last spring. It has a 66 Red Eye Treadle in it. Love it. My problem is I can't figure out how to close it. It pops up easy but I do not know how to close it.
    I want the dinning room neat for the holiday. My son and girlfriend from Bend are visiting for a week. From the 19th to the 26xt and She is cooking!

I have been working on this all day.
    I will be greatful for any information,

quilter68 (aka Kathleen Campbell)
    Last edited by quilter68; 11-14-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: forgot a word
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

Can you post a picture of your machine?

Can you post a picture?

I have a parlor cabinet that has a spring loaded lift platform that goes straight down. I just push it straight down until it clicks. Once it is down, there is a piece of wood that swings from the back so it is across the machine to prevent it rising if the release button is pressed inadvertantly. Not sure if yours works this way.

Try lifting it up, just a little, and then push it down. I think there is a safety mechanism that prevents it from going down all by itself. I hope that helps. I had a parlor cabinet, once, and I think that's what I finally figured out....I had been having trouble getting it down, too.
    ~~Cathy~~

Blog Entries
    Hurrah, Hurrah! After instructions from five board members and TWO YOU TUBE videos the machine went down. For me pressure wasn't enough so I shook it several times and VIOLA down she went.

For those that asked to see the cabinet, the 'YOU TUBE' videos are exactly the same. Video names are 'SINGER' parlor cabinet NO.21 and "TREADLES and TEA' Episode1 with Miss Ellen Elevator
    Thank you all for your ideas and encouragement,

Quilter68
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

Quilter68,

I'm glad you finally got it. Sorry I couldn't be of much help though.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    Try lifting it up, just a little, and then push it down. I think there is a safety mechanism that prevents it from going down all by itself. I hope that helps. I had a parlor cabinet, once, and I think that's what I finally figured out....I had been having trouble getting it down, too.
    I'm glad that you figured it out. I love the Treadles and Tea video. She has a little booklet that is really good for any beginning treadle owner to have. I think it's only $8.

The other thing that I had to do with mine is when I wanted to lift it out of the cabinet I had to push it down just a tiny bit for it to release and be able to come all the way up. I think this was also a safety measure just to keep it from popping up on it's own when you least expect it ...
    ~~Cathy~~