Perfect use for Touch&Sew

Old 09-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Banned

Hhmm, maybe I should hang on to the 600E I was gonna part out. I don't have a cord/controller so I don't know if it works.

Cari
Old 09-27-2014, 10:28 AM

That 600E is most likely a good machine. They were all metal gears up until the 620s. I remember watching one guy do a comparison of a T & S to a 400 series. They're very similar inside except the bobbin winder assembly. Oh, that's right, IIRC you're not fond of the 400s either.
Rodney
Old 09-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE84twglJBc
Old 09-27-2014, 12:02 PM

I've got a cord set/foot controller for that 600E, Cari. One of the ones that I was going to see if you wanted anyway.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Sending positive vibes. I agree about the touch & sew my mom bought one for me and all I ever had with it was problems
Old 09-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by monopas View Post
I've got a cord set/foot controller for that 600E, Cari. One of the ones that I was going to see if you wanted anyway.
Hey great, thanks! Guess I'll leave it in the house instead of putting it in the shed.

Cari
Old 09-28-2014, 04:42 AM

I bought one at a garage sale not long ago. I can do minor repairs myself so I wasn't fretting but I couldn't make it work. Luckily one of my good friends does repairs and I had him look at it. He did fix it but he said in the repair industry the Touch & Sews are referred to as the Touch & Throws because they want to throw them out the window.

I don't use the machine. I pick them up when I see them for next to nothing and keep them to give away when someone says they need a machine. I did stitch it out once it was fixed and it had some pretty stitches on it. Someone will hopefully like it.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:53 PM

Once upon a time, about 30 years ago, (not sure just when) I had a T&S like the garage door stop. It now resides with one of my daughters or one of their daughters. Last I heard, it was sewing just fine. I sewed a tent with screen windows and roll downs to close the windows when it was raining on it...way back when. I don't think it has ever been cleaned professionally, adjusted or oiled. It is/was an amazing machine. I doubt it gets used now for anything other than a quick repair, if that even. I now have about 20 Vintage/Antique machines, 2 newer (about 30 years old also) Berninas and a Pfaff embroidery machine that is about 10 years old. Love them all (most of the time). Got a bit "unhappy" with the Pfaff when I was trying to do my Ashlea block and it messed up no matter what I did.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:15 PM

I might end up with a Touch and Sew (Golden 625) - my husband serviced his Mom's machine and had it all running perfectly and we took it down there this spring. Unfortunalty MIL never got a chance to sew on it after that, and now it may be coming to live with us. Depends on how much room DD has in her truck when she leaves, she's been cleaning and going through everything. Though if DD wants it, she can have it. Mostly I don't want to see it go in the trash.

Even after working on it, my husband is NOT a fan of it. I'd take it just because it belonged to MIL and she sewed lots and lots on it for many years.