Pfaff 1222 Q

Old 01-12-2016, 08:26 PM

Default Pfaff 1222 Q

Hi all
New to sewing & just bought a used Pfaff 1222. Was hoping to have some help with an issue I'm having with it. Got it all threaded & started to sewing but the needle won't move up & down. You can hear the motor but no sewing happening. I tried to turn the wheel but it won't budge. I'm hoping I'm just missing an obvious step, any thoughts on what I could try? Thanks so much.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like it needs to be serviced
Old 01-13-2016, 04:17 AM

Not familiar with a Pfaff 1222Q, but could you have a thread jam in the bobbin area?
Welcome to the board!
Old 01-13-2016, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. I would take it in for basic servicing. Sewing machine are just like cars, they need to be oiled and cleaned usually on a yearly basis depending on the use of your machine.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:12 AM

I'm not familiar with this machine...if it's a modern enough machine it may have plastic gears which have stripped. You might have a belt broken or missing...could be a lot of different things! Some major, some minor.

You say when you turn the wheel it won't budge - is it the needle that won't budge or is it the wheel that won't budge? If the wheel moves but the needle doesn't, it might be as simple as it's disengaged to wind a bobbin - have you tried tightening the clutch? (Or free motion knob...it's called different things)

Do you have the manual? Does it have any troubleshooting tips?

If you're brave you can open the machine up yourself and have a look around inside and see what you can find, but if you've never worked on a machine before and you'd be upset if you ruined this one, I'd say take it to an expert. Some things are tricky to put back on if you don't know what you're doing, so use caution!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:39 AM

Sounds like the wheel is engaged to wind a bobbin - google for a manual to check how to operate it.
It will need cleaning and oiling but unless the camstack is cracked you have yourself a GREAT machine. I own three! Love that machine!
Old 01-13-2016, 08:41 AM

I would take it to a Pfaff dealer for a service, even if you get it working. I have had one for 46 years and it still runs like a dream. Best machine of all I have. If you don't have a book go on ebay and get one after you get it working. This machine does amazing things and you need to know how to combine buttons for different functions and stitches. Good Luck anf good sewing. It will do around 60 different dectorative combinations.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:18 PM

That is my favorite work horse of all time! they are a wonderful machine. So first question for you is the bobbin winder engaged? The bobbin sets on a magnet and you flip a switch over to run it. Also this machine will not sew if the presser foot is raised, one of the features I loved with small children.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:20 PM

Do you have the book for this machine? I have one and will try to locate to help you trouble shoot your problems.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:20 PM

I have one in my "bone yard" with a broken gear. Check that before you pay for a service. Sometimes there's thread wrapped around the handwheel or motor pulley. Sometimes it's just the old oil that has gummed things up.