Pfaff 130

Old 04-22-2017, 07:44 AM

Default Pfaff 130

I bought this a couple of months ago at auction and am now considering selling it. I just have too many unfinished projects. They are becoming a burden.

I understand there are several models of the 130. Do you know what model this is? Is it just dirty, or does it look like it's seen it's better days? It has no attachments, extra feet, extra bobbins or manuals, but works. I paid a little less than $70.00 for it in the compact cabinet, so I think I can recoup my money easily with a little minor cleaning and some patience waiting for a buyer.

What do you think?

bkay
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1146.jpg   dsc_1143.jpg  
Old 04-22-2017, 10:34 AM
Banned

You should have no problem getting your money back out of it. A Pfaff 130 is a desirable machine and so is the cabinet.

Cari
Old 04-22-2017, 11:40 AM

Thanks, Cari. I know it's a desirable machine and that I can recoup my money. I've been digging around in the building all day with all the machines I was going to fix when I retired. Now that I'm there, it all seems overwhelming. There's just so much I don't know. I guess I'm just trying to figure out which ones are worth the effort and which ones aren't.

I'm not sure anyone can answer that for me. Thanks anyway.

bkay
Old 04-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Banned

Yes I can see where it would seem overwhelming. Instead of looking at all of them and seeing the whole picture, just choose one at a time and only focus on the one project at a time. One machine isn't overwhelming.

Cari
Old 04-23-2017, 05:01 AM

I f you want to see overwhelming, you should see what I have on my list. I agree, just one at a time.

It looks like the topcoat might be crazed, but it does not look like it would interfere with sewing. Otherwise, this machine should not take too long to clean up.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:39 AM

Good news! I thought I had checked the bottom drawer, but obviously, I hadn't. I found the box of feet, a block of wood (?) and the manual. It's just missing the cord that goes from the back of the case to the wall, which should not be a biggie.

You're right, Maria, the finish is crazed and the decals are worn. I think maybe French polish will take care of crazing. (I can't decide which machine to learn that technique on.) Also, the replacement decals are fairly inexpensive to purchase, so you wouldn't have to be so careful around the decals.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 04-23-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:06 AM

You could practise applying shellac on any piece of wood or metal. Your machine is what I call signs of age and wear but still in nice condition. You should see the dust and grime on a 66 I was given, the wiring needed replacing, but underneath it all it was in surprisingly good condition. The Pfaff 130 is quite sought after, and I'm sure a good clean up and sorting out will pay off. A clean machine with a good set of stitch samples is always a pluss.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Banned

Bkay, the block of wood was probably for cutting buttonholes. Was there a buttonhole cutter with it? With various machines I've gotten either the blades or the handle for one, only a few times have I gotten them together.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]571968[/ATTACH]

Cari
Attached Thumbnails buttonhole-cutter.jpg  
Old 04-23-2017, 10:36 AM

Your Pfaff 130 looks just like mine, and I use it every day. Mine is a bigger cabinet, but with no drawers.

I am glad you found attachments and a manual. I think you will find a buyer.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:41 AM

Oh my. That looks just like my mom's machine, but she has a larger cabinet. She bought it in 1953 I think. I learned to sew on it, and I remember her making stationary with decorative stitching to give as teacher gifts as a child. Great machine.