Pfaff K

Old 08-25-2015, 07:00 AM

Default Pfaff K

We got this machine on Sunday. No attachments, no manual and missing the tension assembly. It had a motor and the cutest foot controller (3" by 4 1/2") that the cords were separated from the motor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528735[/ATTACH]

I cleaned out the dust bunnies and lint from the feed dogs and bonnet brackets. Took the bad motor off. Wiped down most of the machine and drip pan with sewing machine oil. Oiled it and then decided to see if it stitched. Since it had a boss, I thought I would try the hand crank that I recently got (basically just to have on hand). However, the hand wheel that is on the machine didn't work with the hand crank and I didn't want to try to switch out the hand wheel. I also didn't want to take the tension assembly off another machine to try.

I had a pair of work pants that needed to be mended. I work in a sheet metal shop and consequently most of the front of my clothes get chewed up and frayed. So I threaded it up and took out the bobbin with white thread that was in the shuttle and put in the navy bobbin that was in the bobbin winder into the shuttle. I took the top thread and put it through the bobbin winder tension discs, over to the top guide, though the check spring then on as I think it is supposed to be threaded.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528736[/ATTACH]
It made a very good stitch, so I proceeded to straight stitch some extra wide seam binding over the edge of the fly front. Then ironed on some fusible web to an Ultrasuede scrap and ironed that on to the front and proceeded to stitch it. I just turned the hand wheel with my hand/finger to stitch. (The color of the patch and the pants don't contrast as much as what is shown in this picture.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528739[/ATTACH]

By the way, is there supposed to be a felt wick in the hole by the shuttle? I couldn't find a hole in the side like some of the other machines have. I did clean that out. There was just lint/dust in it but nothing that resembled felt. So I just put oil in it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528740[/ATTACH]

Also the decal on the inside of the pillar has a crown like emblem that has the initials G P M in it. I just figured out that the initials stand for Georg Michael Pfaff.

Another question about the wood case - does the boiled linseed oil / vinegar mixture (1:1) on wood hurt the decals?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails pfaff-k-front.jpg   pfaff-k-missing-tension-threaded.jpg   pfaff-k-mend.jpg   pfaff-k-shuttle.jpg  
Old 08-25-2015, 01:16 PM

Very pretty machine. Have you checked to see if Singer tension disks will fit? Looks like you have the important parts, you just need the beehive spring, disks and a nut for a working tension. The nut will probably be the hardest part depending on what threads they used.
Ebay Germany might have what you need too.
Rodney
Rodney
Old 08-26-2015, 03:04 AM

Yes, the release pin is there but I haven't tried any other tension assemblies - yet. I do have a spare beehive spring (seems a little large) and nut that seem to fit over the stud. I think that I need three disks. I think it might be similar to the unnumbered 66's. However, since it has a decent stitch the way I have it threaded, I will probably just leave it for the time being. I don't "DO" eBay, let alone German eBay.
Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.