Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Picture needed of 301 cradle mounting brackets >

Picture needed of 301 cradle mounting brackets

Picture needed of 301 cradle mounting brackets

Old 02-21-2016, 12:30 PM

Smile Picture needed of 301 cradle mounting brackets

I just bought a 301 and want to mount it in a cabinet that does not have the two brackets: Simanco #136412 (or maybe xxxxx3). If any of you have your 301 in a cabinet, would you take a picture of the bracket that supports the cradle on the side toward you, not the hinge pin side? All the 301 cradles on eBay are missing these brackets, but I think I found a pair. Just need to know if they are the correct part for the job.Thanks so much!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543188[/ATTACH]
Isn't she pretty?
Attached Thumbnails singer-301-short-bed.jpg  
Old 02-21-2016, 01:05 PM

I just found out that the cabinet I have will not accept a 301 cradle, so I won't be able to easily remove the machine if I want to take it somewhere, but that is minor. I don't go anywhere much, anyway.
Thanks for looking. :-)
Pat
Old 02-21-2016, 01:18 PM

Well, I found out something else: I cannot put this 301 in my cabinet at all because there are no hinge pin holes on the machine. Phooey. I could have bought a mocha machine in a cabinet today, but I fell in love with the black one...and for twice the money. Not sorry. It will all work out.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:04 PM

the hinge pin hole are IN the cradle. So that is why there are none on the machine.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:25 PM

BTW - as long as they are short bed 301's, they ALL fit in cabinets the same way. So you could have swapped out the mocha one by unclipping it from the cradle, and popped the black one in it's place.

If you have an older cabinet, you can put in the 301, but you have to cut the tab off the front flap and install the brackets the cradle clips to. You can still put a different machine in there, but you'll need to leave the clips as they will be the support for the front of the cabinet.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:49 PM
Banned

Patricia I'm copying my answer I gave you on the other side since they'll probably delete it now that you've started the same thread over here.

Patricia you need to look for a cabinet that was made for the 401/500 and up machines. One of those will most likely have the front clips built in, the way to tell that type of cabinet is it won't have the "flap" on the right side of the front folding piece of the cabinet. Some of the older cabinets that have the "flap" will have the front clips in them, most don't. The cradle mounts into the cabinet on the hinge pins, then you set the machine into the cradle. Most people who remove the cradle to sell it don't think to remove the clips with it.
Your machine is very pretty, I love the black 301s. I might be taking mine to the PNW get together we're having on March 13th.

Cari
Old 02-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

I wish I could go to that PNW get together. Can you post details - date? Time? Place?
Old 02-21-2016, 10:00 PM
Banned

Sure Miriam. It's Sunday March 13th, no set time just kind of an all day 'we'll see what happens' kind of day. Location will be known once Steve makes his reservations but he's trying for Tumwater. I wish you could come too!

Cari
Old 02-21-2016, 10:15 PM

Singer made a card table for the 301 too. The machine drops into place without any hinge pins or cradle required. I mention this because, if you are set on putting the 301 into your cabinet (...and the 301 actually fits into the space), a bit of woodwork to install supporting rails into the cabinet (like the Singer card table) should not be too difficult.
(....for someone handy with such woodwork)
Old 02-22-2016, 05:53 AM

The cardtable has supporting rails but it also has four leather covered metal things attached at the top of the opening to 'snuggle' the 301A into place. I am next to mine right now and figuring how to take a picture. I know this is the stock cardtable because I remember removing it from the box after my Dad drove us home from the SINGER store in 1957 the evening before I graduated from High School.