A place for Fred's stash

Old 01-12-2015, 08:33 AM

Default A place for Fred's stash

I have been aware of Margaret Jankowski and the Sewing Machine Project for some time now; here is a place for all those machines. But they want machines that work well. My only solution would be for each of us to take a few and get them going and then donate them. Mostly that is impossible, but perhaps a few would be able to do that.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/sewing-machine-project-a-success-around-the-world/article_bec34bbe-3b45-11e2-b1a7-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz3OcihxVq8
Old 01-12-2015, 11:27 AM

I tried to open the article, but all I got was a page of redacted text. Looks like the censors went nuts with a marking pen.

Joe
Old 01-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Banned

It opened just fine for me.

Cari
Old 01-12-2015, 01:36 PM

I get the same as joe. I'm sure it's because of being dial up users.

As for Fred at this time he knows nothing of me seeing those machines. Guess half are not complete. I'm sure many will go around and around and up n down, none would be in working condition.

He may want $1 a piece or he may want $120 a piece. or be upset that I have even ask. I has taken me 5 years just to see whats there.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I tried to open the article, but all I got was a page of redacted text. Looks like the censors went nuts with a marking pen.

Joe
it opened for me. but to bypass the middleman ...here is a link to the organisation mentioned in the news article

http://thesewingmachineproject.org/

maybe i have found a home for my necchis.

well, maybe one necchi. newer works great, just don't like it as well as my old one. and it's noisey. here is info page for the site ...treadles & cabinet models need not apply.

http://thesewingmachineproject.org/g...wing-machines/

Last edited by roguequilter; 01-12-2015 at 01:58 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Banned

The biggest problem I see is that there are no donation centers west of Minnesota or Louisiana. The machines being talked about are in Oregon. Much too big of a road trip. And like 10X said, the owner may not even be willing to part with them.

Cari
Old 01-12-2015, 03:52 PM

I would suspect that most of us would be hard-put to pay shipping on something like that. I know I would -- my budget is pretty tight, and I'm not feeling sorry for myself -- just stating a fact. I think the concept is wonderful.

Jeanette
Old 01-12-2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I would suspect that most of us would be hard-put to pay shipping on something like that. I know I would -- my budget is pretty tight, and I'm not feeling sorry for myself -- just stating a fact. I think the concept is wonderful.

Jeanette
Yes, I think it would be easier to bring a non working machine to Goodwill if not near the Sewing machine project and let the purchasers on Shopgoodwill fix them. Also many of my machines I'm trying to get rid of are missing or have bad parts. Great idea though and I'm happy to hear of its success.

Jon
Old 01-12-2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
The biggest problem I see is that there are no donation centers west of Minnesota or Louisiana. The machines being talked about are in Oregon. Much too big of a road trip. And like 10X said, the owner may not even be willing to part with them. Cari
This is a one woman thing started in Madison, WI. I was surprised that it had gone as far as it did already. Is there nothing like it on the west coast? If not, somebody should - could start one. It takes a saint.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:54 PM

who is this "Fred" guy ? I guess I missed it. but I don't understand///