Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Please help me with this machine >

Please help me with this machine

Please help me with this machine

Old 06-16-2019, 09:40 PM

Default Please help me with this machine

I have always had an interest in sewing thanks to my grandmother who was a professional seamstress. I have owned my own modern Singer for 25 years. Just today my uncle gave me a vintage Rotary Electric De Luxe Family Sewing Machine, badged machine made in Japan, that he found in the attic of a house. (can you believe that he was going to sell it for scrap metal...) I have so many questions about it and have been trying to google it since this morning with no luck. I know that the machine works, because we replaced the power cord to the Dayton motor, plugged it in and she came to life, the light bulb in it even came on! Now I know that I need to oil it before I actually try to sew anything, but I am not sure exactly where to apply the oil. I also need to replace the rubber wheel that winds the bobbin, but have no clue what that piece is called or where to get one. I have tried searching for any information about this beautiful machine but all I found was a picture that led me to ebay to a machine similar to mine that was sold several years back. The ebay posting had absolutely no information about the kind of machine it was, the manufacturer or the year it may have been made. I have added pictures of the machine, only 3 because that is all I could get attached to this post.

If anyone can give me any information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you CJacobs
Old 06-17-2019, 04:20 AM

Welcome. The pictures didn't get attached. There is a size limit for attaching images Most images need to be reduced before posting.

You didn't say whether it is a zig zag or straight stitch only machine. When I'm looking for badged machines I will usually look at the following links to see if there is anything similar there (except for clones, I know what those are),
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' sewing machine with fancy stitches
Will the Real 15 clone please stand up
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Another place I check (if it is a Zig-Zag machine) is
http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...g_Machines.htm

Generally, any place that metal rubs metal needs oil. If there are plastic parts, it is generally suggested to keep oil off of those.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-17-2019 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site link
Old 06-17-2019, 06:02 AM

Thank you for letting me know about the pictures, I have attached them again (hopefully they stick). I am going to guess that it is a straight stitch machine, but there is a good possibility that I am wrong. All I know is that I fell in love with the her as soon as I seen her. I am in awe that she is such great shape. The carrier box/cover is in bad need of recovering but it is still sturdy, just missing the original handle and the fabric covering the wood is literally falling apart. I am excited to learn as much as I can about her, that way I will be able to use a truly vintage machine to make baby clothes from the vintage patterns my grandmother used to make my baby clothes.

(Sorry, I tend to ramble when I get excited!!)

I will visit the sites you suggested as soon as I get home from work.

Once again, Thank you
Cathy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613912[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613913[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613914[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613915[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613916[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails front-view.jpg   back-view.jpg   left-side-view.jpg   right-side-view.jpg   bobbin-wheel.jpg  

Old 06-17-2019, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

It looks like straight stitch 15 clone. Great machine. Unlikely to find a blue tire but replacement bobbin winder tires are available on line.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 AM

Awesome!! Thank you, ma'am!!
Old 06-17-2019, 10:48 AM

or at most sewing centers. There are some oddball tires, but not ususally on clones.

oil in all hte oil holes,

Take the plates of the bobbin, needebar, and above the motor areas. Oil everything that moves, or should move.
turn it by hand. if there is a hole except for mounting accessories, it needs oil. Turn it over and oil all the moving parts underneath.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:15 PM

This may help you with the size of your bobbin winder tire https://shop.sew-classic.com/Bobbin-...-Tires_c16.htm. There are dimension drawings with measurements for the tires.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:41 PM

I am So excited for you! I just had Three vintage machines come my way and feel the same way you do! There are a number of videos on You Tube that you can watch. I have found Vintage Sewing Machine Garage to be very informative. He has quite a few videos. I am just learning myself so don’t feel like you are the only newbie here!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-18-2019 at 02:24 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps