Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pleasr tell me about a Singer 99K

Pleasr tell me about a Singer 99K

I bought a 1934 Singer 99K while antiqueing on vacation. Bought it because I liked it and its pretty bentwood case. According to the internet these were prolific, but now I realize they are never discussed here on the board to my knowledge. Are they not conducive to quilting? Did I make a bad buy? Even if I did, I still like the machine and will plan on keeping it.
    Please meet my avatar quilting buddy, Myrtle McQuilter

Good machine, easy to maintain, reliable, and makes a good stitch. With regular cleaning and oiling, it will outlast all of us. Quilters prefer Featherweights because they are lighter but a 99 sews just as well and costs a lot less.

Ed

And they are so reliable and simple to maintain we rarely need to talk about them.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

conniemaried,

There are threads about the 99s all over this section. There is nothing really special or different about them. They are basically a 3/4 size 66. They sew very nice stitches, are reliable and durable.
    Anything more and you'll have to ask some specific questions.

Joe

Congrats on your "new" machine! It's great fun to be browsing and actually find something you want and the price works for you, too!
    K
    In the garden of life everyone has a row to hoe, some people just have more weeds...

Always do right, it will gratify some and astonish the rest...Mark Twain

Mine is very quiet to use. I can sew in the same room while others are watching TV without any complaints about them not being able to hear what's going on.

I have a 99, and 99k.. They are both great machines.. They are easy to take care of, and they hummmmmm..

I have a 99k great machine!

The stitching has probably been understated here. The 99s and 66s make a near-perfect stitch (see http://www.sewalot.com/singer%2066.htm for more). Only machine Alex A Considers better is the 201.
    Someone on this forum said the 401 is the best machine, but that might just be because it also has fancy quilting stitches built-in. I makes dresses, not quilts (yet - my daughter expressed interest in quilting yesterday so there's hope for me still).
    Mike
    My Singers: 12k (1883), VS2 Painted Red and Cream Roses and Daisies (1891), VS2 Victorian (1891), Improved Family (or 15-1, 1886), 15k (1917), 27 Tiffany (1900), 96k41 (1947), 96k41 (1949), 201k (1953), 206k11 (1950), 222k (1959), 306k, 320k2(1959), 411g
    Others: Empisal (1960s), Bernina Record 530-2, Pfaff 60, Pfaff 260, Lemair (1960s)

Blog Entries
    Thanks to a quilter here I have 2 99k's. A friend in Canada sent me her 99k to use as parts for the one I already had. They both purr like a kitten. My hubby even made me a sewing table for mine. I love it. The stitch is wonderful and the machine is smaller than my others. So I'm happy. You might try to look up 99k on you tube. Seems like they do have videos there of 99 and 99k.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast