Poof Pin Cushion

Old 08-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
. I don't love adding wood filler and it never does take a stain well, but you can't sew on something with torn rough edges.
I know what you mean. Years ago my stepdad built me a large aquarium stand. When I saw it I asked him what all the little dots on the doors were. One of my nephews had shot up the doors with a bb gun so he filled the holes with filler before he stained them. It was an interesting look to say the least and did nothing to endear me to the little brat.

Cari
Old 08-26-2015, 03:34 AM

Has anyone re-made the small poof pin cushion that came attached to the old wood bases? Mine was hard as a rock and the velvet was pulling out from the side.

I have a scrap of velvet and some sawdust and am planning to re-do it.
Very nice, looking good. I have a question about the pin cushion. Does the wood base screw on to the board it is on? Did you glue the pincushion? How is it fastened? Also what did you clean the wood with? It sure made a beautiful difference.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Very nice, looking good. I have a question about the pin cushion. Does the wood base screw on to the board it is on? Did you glue the pincushion? How is it fastened? Also what did you clean the wood with? It sure made a beautiful difference.

Thank you Janey. I will try to answer your questions. I cleaned the wood with Glenn's cleaning recipe but the finish was totally gone/ I ended up patching the edges to get a smooth surface and then used stain and shellac to re-finish the piece. The pin cushion has a base that screws to the cover lid. When I took apart the tiny cushion it had room for barely a spoonful of sawdust and a small wood disk inside. When I re-made the cushion I made a small circle and drawstring around the edges. Then I added the sawdust and wood disk to the bottom and cinched it up good and tight. The screw actually goes right up to attach the base and into the wood disk sewn into the cushion attaching it as well. I could not tell with mine whether glue had also been used to hold the cushion in place or not.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:38 AM

>>> Then I added the sawdust and wood disk to the bottom and cinched it up good and tight. The screw actually goes right up to attach the base and into the wood disk sewn into the cushion attaching it as well. I could not tell with mine whether glue had also been used to hold the cushion in place or not.
Thank you By any chance do you have a picture of the wood disk without the cushion? Is there hole in the disk to sew the cushion to the disk? Does the screw come up from the bottom of the lid or is it on the wood disk?

Old 08-26-2015, 06:41 AM

*** Beautiful case and cushion.
*** I would have loved to see the machine & cabinet all together.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Nice work on this!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:44 AM

Very nice job, I love the pin cushion. It may have been added on by someone, but still it is great. I often use small pin cushions and make small pincushions as well. That way I can have more for my collection and they don't take up much room, a lot of the old/vintage pincushions were very small, or tiny.lol
Old 08-26-2015, 03:49 PM

This is not really a great photo but hopefully I can add a little explanation. I made a little muslin sack a added a scoop of sawdust and I kept having to make it smaller and smaller to approximate size of the ruined original pin cushion. In the back to the right you can see a blurry disk. That is the wood piece that was inside. I did a gathering thread and wrapped the pretty velvet over the muslin, now including the wood disk that was originally inside. *It's a very lumpy rough piece of wood--not finished to any great quality. I had removed the cover plate from the box and turned it over. Directly through the bottom under the pin cushion was a screw that goes through a hole and through the little wood"cup" and then anchors the works by going into the wood disk. The screw underneath lies flush when it's in so the the piece can still be moved to open the compartment.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1167-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 08-27-2015, 06:04 AM

>>> That is the wood piece that was inside. I did a gathering thread and wrapped the pretty velvet over the muslin, now including the wood disk that was originally inside. *It's a very lumpy rough piece of wood--not finished to any great quality. I had removed the cover plate from the box and turned it over. Directly through the bottom under the pin cushion was a screw that goes through a hole and through the little wood"cup" and then anchors the works by going into the wood disk. The screw underneath lies flush when it's in so the the piece can still be moved to open the compartment.
Christy, thank you so much - I think I get the picture now. It makes sense now that I know that the wood disk is inside the cover. For some reason I just couldn't figure out how it all went together and stayed. I have a hole in the cover lid and a different shade of wood in that area and after seeing pictures of these old Pfaff sewing machines, I now know why. Maybe someday I'll find something suitable to make a pin cushion with.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528967[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails pfaff-k-4pincushion.jpg  
Old 08-27-2015, 06:27 AM

After thought question -- Since I'm pretty sure the machine that goes with this pin cushion is a Pfaff 11, have you worked on the machine and did it have a felt wick in the shuttle area like the Singers?