Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Potential Quilt Piecing Machine >

Potential Quilt Piecing Machine

Potential Quilt Piecing Machine

Old 11-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Looks like a cross between an anvil and a sheet metal riveter.
Joe
The danged thing is heavy enough!

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
...... I said NO to re-purposing an old industrial into a metalworking tool.
Depending on what they’re wanting to bend, Steve, it may stand up to it!

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
OOps! Another old age moment.... sorry ThayerRags..... you're the one that is going to do majic on this machine.... not Miriam. I'll be watching to see your progress.
Not a problem, I have those moments all the time. I’ll try to post progress, but it will be on down the road probably. I’ve never rehabbed a machine this big. I’m going to see if I can get my wife to do all of the lifting on this one.....nope....she was reading over my shoulder.....it ain’t gonna happen....I’ll have to do it myself....or hire a tow truck.....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Well, I could reach right through the computer screen and do some fix up I suppose since I am a super member.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:00 AM

Default Size Comparison

This photo may help show the relative size of my Adler 205-64 that I plan to try turning into a handcrank. The machine on its cylinder arm is my 1914 Singer 20-1 handcrank, probably my smallest machine. Can you tell that I like handcranks?

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine551_08.jpg  
Old 11-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I like hand cranks, too. I learned on one.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 AM

CD,

You'll need a transfer case with low range to turn that beast into a hand crank. I think it would work better if you hooked it to a 455 CID Chevy truck engine.

Joe
Old 11-24-2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
....if you hooked it to a 455 CID Chevy truck engine.
Joe
Did you see the “Extreme V8 Sewing Machine” video on YouTube? I think it might be a SewMor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-L39ZrL0iM

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

WOW guys and sewing machine rock...
Old 11-27-2013, 02:27 AM

Well, I gave up trying to find a durable drip pan big enough to put this thing in to nurse it back to life, and started its oil bath setting right out on my motorcycle airlift table. I don’t think a plastic pan would have held up while I turned the machine over for access during this process, so I’ll just have to clean up my mess a little more often. Just turning it up on end about turned me on end.

It was locked up tight, but within 2 hours after I oiled everything that I could get to, I had movement at the handwheel! Just a tiny bit, but I can feel it! And I’ve got about half of the travel of the stitch length lever! (The feed dogs are moving with it as they should too, although they were complaining loudly at first.) The bobbin case opens too! I found out that I don’t have a bobbin, so there was no thread in there to hold moisture and promote rust, so it looks pretty clean inside.

I’ll shoot more oil to it for a few days, and then start taking parts off to clean them. I might be quilt piecing cowboy boots together with this thing before you know it!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-27-2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Did you see the “Extreme V8 Sewing Machine” video on YouTube? I think it might be a SewMor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-L39ZrL0iM

CD in Oklahoma
CD,
I watched that video. I'm still chuckling at that guy driving a sewing machine with a V-8 engine. That was a hoot!

Joe
Old 06-24-2014, 06:36 AM

I’m still fiddling with this Adler 205-64 machine, although I haven’t gotten very far in the past few months. I did find out that most of the parts that it needs are still available, so that’s good. Although, it will take about $700 to buy them all, so I haven’t rushed my order off for them yet. The important parts that I need are a needle clamp and a bobbin. Just the needle clamp and screw will be $250, and bobbins run about $9 each. The rest of the parts are to rebuild the automatic tension release and the hand foot-lift, so I’ll probably put those off until I find out for sure that it will sew and doesn’t have anything wrong with the hook. I can probably rig up a manual tension release to use temporarily, and I can lift the foot with the foot-peddle linkage, but I’ve got to get a needle clamp and bobbin before I can see if it will even sew or not.

Thanks to Miriam, I have a crank handle for it now. Her idea led me to buy a used suicide knob that clamps onto the solid hand wheel. I think it’s going to be workable, but I haven’t tested it extensively. It may be a problem keeping it tight when I get to actually sewing with it.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine551_09.jpg