Isn't he a handsome devil?
The clear coat issue turned out to be (after careful observation applying the second coat) entirely due to the spray can not mixing properly no matter how much I shook it. It's basically the pure solvents in the can escaping as I spayed. I decided to call it a day when I managed to get the front and base all smooth and perfect; I can handle a little 'flocking' on the parts I won't look at!
I also managed to add my very own scratches to his brand new finish. Turns out those rivets on the bottom of his foot pedal are super sharp!
Thank you to Rain of vssmb.blogspot.com for giving me the card trick to adjust his foot; I got it all sorted out now, and he's working beautifully. Didn't have playing cards (boyfriend wouldn't let me use his for fear of getting oil on them), but trading cards seemed to work just as well.
I got to do a little sewing with him last night--I feel so spoiled with all that room to the right of the needle! My little Janome just doesn't even compete anymore, the poor thing.
Next time I think I'll take him to an auto-body shop. This was a fun experiment, but next time I'll just let a professional do the paint work!