Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   201 motor wiring question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/201-motor-wiring-question-t201100.html)

ArizonaKAT 09-21-2012 07:12 AM

201 motor wiring question

Got my new foot control and wire that goes to the motor last night. My question is . . . (this is probably going to sound stupid) does it matter which way I turn the wire to attach it to the machine? Don't want to blow it up.

J Miller 09-21-2012 07:31 AM

No. The older machines are not polarized. "If" I can I rewire them as they were, I will. But if not I just rewire them.
There are wiring diagrams that will show where the wires go. And some of them are color coded. But none match modern wire and telling which is which isn't very easy unless your an expert at appliance wiring.

Joe

ArizonaKAT 09-21-2012 09:16 AM

Ok, this is getting ugly. If you don't hear from me again. I blew myself up :-(

J Miller 09-21-2012 09:28 AM

LOL, ArizonaKAT, it ain't that hard. Unless you cross wire it somehow and make a short it will be fine.

Joe

ArchaicArcane 09-21-2012 09:39 PM

Don't worry about it!!
I might have switched the wires on the one I did today. I'm still here, not even singed a little.
The fact that I don't know for sure if I switched them should be enough for you to relax, I hope. ;)

ArizonaKAT 09-22-2012 11:58 AM

itOk I changed the foot pedal wire and threaded the machine and ran it. It ran fine for about a minute and then the motor started to drag. So I decided to grease the motor. Got the direction from the instruction manual. The only problem now is I can't get the screws loosened from the two grease cups. I know I heard you all mention how to do that but I can't find the threads. So, help again, please.

J Miller 09-22-2012 01:15 PM

AZKAT,

The grease cups sit vertically just behind the hand wheel. You'll need a very short flat bladed screwdriver to unscrew them. Once the cups are out clean the old grease out if it's icky or just stick the lube tube up in the cup and fill it with new lube.

Then you should check the brushes too. Make sure they are still good, clean and not all oily. If so then after that, unlock the clutch so the hand wheel free wheels and put the hammer down. Run it till it it cleans itself out.
This I got from my LSMG.

Joe

ArizonaKAT 09-22-2012 08:35 PM

The grease cup screws are stuck. I can't unscrew them :-(

irishrose 09-22-2012 10:06 PM

Hoppe's gun oil just did two on the 404 I bought today. Let it set a few minutes, then try again. Kroil may be better, but Hoppe's was available to me.

ArchaicArcane 09-22-2012 11:23 PM

I've heard of people giving it a tiny little clockwise turn, just to break it loose, then turning counter clockwise to undo them. The only thing that concerns me is that they are plastic or bakelite, so they may not take to that very well.

The other thing that comes to mind is pushing down a little while you turn them CCW.

You do have a good screwdriver that fits really well, right? A good screwdriver makes all the difference.