Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   a 301 question........ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/301-question-t202576.html)

4dogs 10-07-2012 12:29 PM

a 301 question........

I love this 301 that I got at a Salvation Army thrift store, in a nice cabinet, for 32.00 and I have sewn a LOT of quilts on it.............BUT...when I am sewing along, and need to stop, take my knee off of the control, it doesnt stop....it sews on, for about 6 more stitches.........is this a common thing for a 301, or do I have a problem, and if it is, how do I fix it?

Candace 10-07-2012 01:28 PM

This is how older machines work. They don't come to a complete stop automatically, you need to get used to that and work with it. You may want to double check the contacts and foot control, however, as it sounds like the foot control may be a bit stuck somewhere. It is normal for the machine to run a few stitches until it stops, but you can make sure it's doing what it should by double checking the status of the foot control.

miriam 10-08-2012 01:32 AM

I would hit that knee control with some tri-flow oil for starters then do what Candace just said

irishrose 10-08-2012 09:08 AM

My 301 in use stops as soon as move my foot. I don't know about the one in the case. All my vintage machine e machines stop exactly where I want. I haven't tried my treadles.

Candace 10-08-2012 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5570826)
My 301 in use stops as soon as move my foot. I don't know about the one in the case. All my vintage machine e machines stop exactly where I want. I haven't tried my treadles.

That's funny, Rose. All of my vintage machines run a few stitches before coming to a complete stop.

path49 10-08-2012 09:38 AM

None of my older machines (electrics dating from the mid 30's thru 70's) make so much as 1 stitch after I release the pedal. And I have a good variety of machines....Singers, Kenmores, Whites, Nationals. If yours is stitching AT ALL after you release pressure on your foot (or knee) control, I'd think the controller either needs a good cleaning or replaced.

Candace 10-08-2012 09:48 AM

I guess I need to add that I sew pedal to the metal at full throttle. I don't sew slow. So, yes, for my machines to come to a full stop there is an extra stitch or so. I use many different foot controls that have all been maintained and that is not the issue. Speed and the mechanics of the machine are what cause this. Especially if it's a belt driven machine.

irishrose 10-08-2012 09:57 AM

Now you've made me curious. I will watch my machines. I have a 301 and a 15 clone set up. I don't have to check the Elna - I know it stops.

Candace 10-08-2012 09:59 AM

But, Rose, are you a speed demon like me? :>

miriam 10-08-2012 12:44 PM

LOL try an industrial machine.