Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Almost sure.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/almost-sure-t213491.html)

tlambing 02-10-2013 02:08 PM

Almost sure....

1 Attachment(s)
She's a 99-13
I know she's from 1926 and through all my novice deducing...I think I'm right.
She's all oiled up and runs great. A bit of sewing trouble until I found that someone had the needle in backwards. I do believe the stitch she provides is excellant!

One question: The machine has not been rewired. Everything seems in great condition. Should I get it rewired? if so, Any idea of cost for that?
I paid $80.00 for the machine with bentwood case, including the oil can and key:)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]394376[/ATTACH]

J Miller 02-10-2013 04:25 PM

That is a really pretty machine. I have 2 99Ks, one electric and one HC. They are handy but heavy.

As far as the wiring goes if it's not overly frayed, there's no exposed wires, and you don't get a buzz, then I'd leave it alone.

Joe

DogHouseMom 02-10-2013 04:29 PM

nice machine! Can't help with the wiring question ... I'm a newbie to vintage ladies.

tlambing 02-10-2013 04:30 PM

Thanks Joe. I get no Buzz and the wiring looks great. Question: On the motor there are 2 look to be oil ports silver on either end of it. Is this motor to be oiled? I have looked everywhere for that info. and cannot find it.

J Miller 02-10-2013 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by tlambing (Post 5852595)
Thanks Joe. I get no Buzz and the wiring looks great. Question: On the motor there are 2 look to be oil ports silver on either end of it. Is this motor to be oiled? I have looked everywhere for that info. and cannot find it.

tlambling,

Use Singer Lube that comes in the tube only in the motor. You can get it at Sew-Classic if your LSMG doesn't carry it.
For the regular oil places Tri-Flow oil works wonders. But be sure to use the Singer Lube only in the motor though.

Joe

miriam 02-11-2013 04:11 AM

What Joe said....
If you do find frayed wires you can buy the motor, light and foot control on line - just 2 screws will fix it. Easy.

Prim Quilts 02-11-2013 04:51 AM

Very Pretty!

J Miller 02-11-2013 05:29 AM

It's also easy to rewire them. That way you keep them pretty much original. :)

Joe

oldtnquiltinglady 02-11-2013 05:24 PM

This is the week for 99Ks, I guess. My son came over this morning and said "Mom do you want a 99K? I saw one on CL today for $40 in the Bentwood case", so I am not sure if he will be getting it for me. I already have one, and a Spartan that is a dream come true (clean, quiet, and sews beautifully). I keep buggin' a friend of mine to give me hers, but she says she won't--I can wait and outbid her kids for it when they hold her auction (after she leaves this earth for a better place).....