Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Any suggestions for my Singer 15? help please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/any-suggestions-my-singer-15-help-please-t101757.html)

deedum 02-21-2011 12:05 PM

Reading a very old post from 07, I found out I can drop the feed dogs on my 15! Wow! I am so excited, it free motions so nicely, only problem is my top thread keeps breaking and the spool messes up, like almost jumps off it post! I broke 6 needles today!!! I tried adjusting the tension both upper and lower, I know it is threaded correct, new needle (Ha) and diffrent thread! I am so excited about FM on this machine! Gee, I have only owned it 34 yrs now and just finding this out! If I could firgue out what the trouble is, I could really enjoy this! It has an inch longer throat than my other machines too!!! Please, any ideas!

thepolyparrot 02-21-2011 12:26 PM

Do you have a felt under your spool? It sounds like you don't.

BellaBoo 02-21-2011 12:35 PM

If it was a problem with the spool I don't think it would break a needle before the thread. Are you using a spool that has a slit in the edge of the spool, that will catch every time binding up everything. Put a full bobbin of thread on the spindle and see if that will sew without breaking. That will test if it's the spool. The needle may be hitting the feed dogs that may be out of place just a smidgen. Try raising the feed dogs up and down a few times.

deedum 02-21-2011 12:38 PM

Yes I do! A small piece , maybe I need a larger one, will try that
Thanks!

deedum 02-21-2011 12:48 PM

Yes , I am Using thread w a slit in the side! I bet Yr right on that! Mmm, here I was thinking I would use my old spools up for pratice! I will put a diffrent spool and give it a try! Thanks!

deedum 02-21-2011 03:59 PM

That did it! Thanks everyone!!! YOur the best!

Debbie B 02-21-2011 04:05 PM

A few months I bought a 15-125 because of reading on the board about the drop feed. It has 1 1/2" more throat space than my newer machine. I haven't yet quilted anything with it, but I have done a few practice pieces. It's so powerful compared to my newer machine that it sort of scares me...ha. I'm determined that my next quilting project that I WILL do the FMQ on this machine. Good luck & be sure to post a picture of your FMQ.

thepolyparrot 02-21-2011 05:04 PM

Oh, I'm glad you're up and running, deedum! These little things will drive you crazy sometimes, won't they?

Debbie B, if the speed of your 15 is overwhelming, you can solve it with a variable speed router control - about $20 at Harbor Freight.

You put the router controller between the machine and the outlet, dial the variable control all the way down, then run your machine with the foot control fully depressed.

Slowly turn up the variable speed dial on the router control until your machine is running as fast as you want to sew and you're good to go. This really helped me a lot when I was trying to learn on a jackrabbit machine.

For an even better solution, switch to an electronic foot control - it's much more sensitive than the old bakelite button style controllers that Singer used on most of their machines. The electronic foot control takes about five minutes to install in place of the button controller.

You'll be amazed at how much less fatiguing it is for your leg and foot muscles and how much easier it is to run the machine at a steady speed. :)

quilter711 02-21-2011 06:08 PM

PolyParrot,
Wow are you smart! Never new you could do this. Wonderful ideas.
Nancy
Quilter711

Debbie B 02-21-2011 07:18 PM

Thank you Polyparrot, I've never heard of these. And I am going to check them out. My Singer has a knee control and I'm used to a foot control. Your answers were very helpful. Debbie

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Oh, I'm glad you're up and running, deedum! These little things will drive you crazy sometimes, won't they?

Debbie B, if the speed of your 15 is overwhelming, you can solve it with a variable speed router control - about $20 at Harbor Freight.

You put the router controller between the machine and the outlet, dial the variable control all the way down, then run your machine with the foot control fully depressed.

Slowly turn up the variable speed dial on the router control until your machine is running as fast as you want to sew and you're good to go. This really helped me a lot when I was trying to learn on a jackrabbit machine.

For an even better solution, switch to an electronic foot control - it's much more sensitive than the old bakelite button style controllers that Singer used on most of their machines. The electronic foot control takes about five minutes to install in place of the button controller.

You'll be amazed at how much less fatiguing it is for your leg and foot muscles and how much easier it is to run the machine at a steady speed. :)