Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Before You Plug Your Vintage Machine in............Yes Safety First!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/before-you-plug-your-vintage-machine-yes-safety-first-t45814.html)

Deborah12687 05-14-2010 08:33 AM

I got electracuted fixing a 220 volt wall heater were I worked. My coworker said he would pull the braker for me and he pulled the wrong one. Well I went to fix the wires and the wires were alive and I could not disconect myself from them. I finely thru myself backwords and yelled out for help! I was in the hospital for a week with electical burns on the tips of fingers and it messed up my heart. Can't express enough how importent it is to "UNPLUG" no matter what!

craftybear 05-16-2010 07:24 AM

thanks for your information!

Lostn51 09-04-2010 05:20 AM

I forgot I even did this tutorial but I need to go into the rewiring part of it. I think I will do that this weekend since I have the time now to do it. And I am rewiring a 99K right now and this would be a great candidate for the tute.

Billy

aardvarq 09-04-2010 06:28 AM

Hey Billy and All,

Thanks to your repeated advice over the last months I did a fair job receiving a featherweight recently. Checked all visible wiring for insulation condition, dropped the pan and checked the motor connections and wiring, checked the motor brushes and cleaned those, disassembled the button foot controller -- cleaning the contacts and checked the internal wiring.

After all that, I plugged it in and would you believe it, the light actually turned on!

Runs like a top and I am not worried about using it.

Thank you for your invaluable guidance.

Now, about that little ticking noise when the needle passes the hook and bobbin case . . . using the service manuals, I successfully set the timing on my 127, 66, and 301A. I checked the timing on the 221J and as far as I could tell it was good.

I am using a 15x1 sharp needle and I am getting a good lockstitch, have even tension after disassembling the tension system and cleaning it.

But I have a ticking sound because something is tapping something during the stitch. I am not sewing with it until the sound is adjusted out.

Any advice?

Aardie.

Annaquilts 09-04-2010 07:17 AM

Thank you Billy for caring and reminding us. DH just rewired the 301 we have.

a1crafter 06-23-2011 03:18 PM

New to this. Very concerned about asbestos. How would you know if it is present?

romanojg 06-23-2011 04:17 PM

thanks, I just bought my 4th singer today. this one is a 66 and in fantastic condition except that even the seller pointed out that the wiring was cracking and should be replaced. I'm very afraid and respectful of the power of electric. As tempting as it is to start sewing on it I will wait until I can find a new cord.

Lostn51 06-23-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
thanks, I just bought my 4th singer today. this one is a 66 and in fantastic condition except that even the seller pointed out that the wiring was cracking and should be replaced. I'm very afraid and respectful of the power of electric. As tempting as it is to start sewing on it I will wait until I can find a new cord.

Use a 16/2 lamp card for the electrical cord for the machine. What I do is use an extension cord that has the plug end already molded onto the wire. Then all I have to do is cut to length and solder the ends on and call it a day.

Billy

deplaylady 06-24-2011 10:45 PM

I wondered what was in that box! Now I have something additional to add to my list of to dos for the week end! At least to my husband's to dos - the electronic parts scare me - and he doesn't mind looking these parts over as long as he has clear directions and what to look for like what you provided here! I already have him putting the motor back into my FW - I'll just add looking into the 99's box to the list!

cabinfever 12-05-2012 05:03 PM

Billy,
Do you know if there is any reason/problem with using a grounded plug on a 99k? Mine is a 1954. We need to replace the cord, and husband being an electrician doesn't see why it wouldn't be a good idea.