Okay since there has been all this interest in vintage machines there is something that really needs to be addressed.....The electrical parts of the machine!!
I am doing the tutes on cleaning and rewiring of your machines and the machine that I am using is my 1926 Singer 128. Well if I had plugged it into the wall before checking the electrics I would have caught the machine on FIRE or SHOCKED myself on it. Every connection was loose and there was some wires touching because of that and when I hit the Kneebar I would have felt it hit me like a brick!!!!
Always thoroughly check the electrical out on the machine before plugging it in the wall. Check for cracks in the wiring or exposed areas, loose connections and so forth. If you have to you can take it to a professional and have him look at it.
Your life is not worth being careless!!
Here are some photos showing where the connections were so loose it would have been fatal to me and the machine!
after taking the cover off to see the wiring
The first loose connection
the lugs that the cord plugs into. These were so loose and the wires were touching other wires that would have shocked ar caught on fire!!
The female connectors that plugged into the lugs
After making sure everything was secure and the wiring was in order I plugged it in and turned the light on and ran the mottor with the kneebar!!!