Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Before You Plug Your Vintage Machine in............Yes Safety First!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/before-you-plug-your-vintage-machine-yes-safety-first-t45814.html)

Lostn51 05-13-2010 08:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Okay since there has been all this interest in vintage machines there is something that really needs to be addressed.....The electrical parts of the machine!!

I am doing the tutes on cleaning and rewiring of your machines and the machine that I am using is my 1926 Singer 128. Well if I had plugged it into the wall before checking the electrics I would have caught the machine on FIRE or SHOCKED myself on it. Every connection was loose and there was some wires touching because of that and when I hit the Kneebar I would have felt it hit me like a brick!!!!

Always thoroughly check the electrical out on the machine before plugging it in the wall. Check for cracks in the wiring or exposed areas, loose connections and so forth. If you have to you can take it to a professional and have him look at it.

Your life is not worth being careless!!

Here are some photos showing where the connections were so loose it would have been fatal to me and the machine!

Billy

after taking the cover off to see the wiring
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55241[/ATTACH]

The first loose connection
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55310[/ATTACH]

the lugs that the cord plugs into. These were so loose and the wires were touching other wires that would have shocked ar caught on fire!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55382[/ATTACH]

The female connectors that plugged into the lugs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55383[/ATTACH]

After making sure everything was secure and the wiring was in order I plugged it in and turned the light on and ran the mottor with the kneebar!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55384[/ATTACH]

raptureready 05-13-2010 09:06 PM

Hey Billy, where were you years ago when I plugged in that machine and sparks flew everywhere???? LOL No damage but to my nerves. Lesson learned quickly.

SewExtremeSeams 05-13-2010 09:48 PM

Good advice! I will post of duzzy on a Singer portable I pick up.

no1jan 05-14-2010 01:51 AM

I need to fix the wiring on my 201-2. Thanks Billy!

Deborah12687 05-14-2010 05:58 AM

Billy,
My husband had to lenthin the wire for my foot petal as it was to short. When he striped the wire he found asbestos coating on the wires. Now he want to change all the wiring in the machine as the asbestos is cracked and flaking and the outer coating of the wires isn't the best. By changing the wires will it devalue the machine?

Lostn51 05-14-2010 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Deborah Rae
Billy,
My husband had to lenthin the wire for my foot petal as it was to short. When he striped the wire he found asbestos coating on the wires. Now he want to change all the wiring in the machine as the asbestos is cracked and flaking and the outer coating of the wires isn't the best. By changing the wires will it devalue the machine?

Not if you plan on wanting to use it. You can find the cloth covered wiring at lamp shops and it will not have asbestos in the insulation. If you want to maintain the integrity of the machine I would go that route.

My cousin restores Fans from the teens and twenties and she gets her cloth wiring from a lamp supplier on the net. I will call her if I remember and ask her what site she goes to, but if you Google it you should find it no problem.

Billy

Deborah12687 05-14-2010 07:13 AM

Thank you for the information Billy

wvdek 05-14-2010 07:25 AM

Glad your ok Billy. Course that comes with experience, doesn't it? :lol:

Lostn51 05-14-2010 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Glad your ok Billy. Course that comes with experience, doesn't it? :lol:

Fortunately I never had that happen to me but I have knocked the living stew out of me when I have grounded myself out when I was welding.

Hurted like hell but it was funny!!!

Billy

littlehud 05-14-2010 07:49 AM

That is scary. You are so right......safety first. Thanks for the info.