Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Bel Air Imperial Sewing Machine - 1952 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/bel-air-imperial-sewing-machine-1952-a-t178372.html)

Charlee 02-07-2012 07:30 AM

Dawn, it's the one word "Occupied" that makes the machine worth a bit more... the guy is right, "Made in Japan" isn't much to crow about and certainly doesn't make them worth more....but "Occupied Japan" carries a bit more value in most collector's eyes. :)

Now...go get that handcrank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I'll bet it's a28K, and they're FUN to sew on! The slide plate is an easy replacement!

DawnFurlong 02-07-2012 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Charlee! Hand-crank machine is floating around in the back of my mind. It was really a pretty machine. I was amazed that the shuttle looked like a polished, shiny silver bullet!

Found a picture online - this was about what she looked like. I did like the way she sounded. Also, I was thinking I could keep her downstairs and do some piecing (without isolating myself from the family). She is not loud - so think I could do that and not interfere sound-wise with what others are doing. I think my husband is starting to feel like a quilt widow!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]309657[/ATTACH]

hershery 02-07-2012 08:16 AM

Thanks ,Miriam great help.

jljack 02-07-2012 08:37 AM

What a lovely little machine. I like the decals a lot. These little Japanese 15 clones are just wonderful, and I think you will really enjoy it. I know I enjoy mine!

chris_quilts 02-07-2012 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong (Post 4951373)
Chris - would love to see pictures of yours. :o

Jingle - sadly, it doesn't seem to be the case that this machine would be worth more due to the Occupied in Japan label. I found this interesting little blog yesterday (it is very hard to find info on these machines!!). http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...s-and-60s.html

Dawn, I will post pictures later this afternoon or evening. "Made in Occupied Japan" does make the machine more valuable and more desirable for collectors. I have an antique dealer friend who looked at my machine and he did say it was the "Occupied Japan" words that made her valuable to collectors. he did say just made in Japan did not make it valuable and, in fact, might lower its resale value because they are so commonly found. He does not carry sewing machines, except parlour type cabinet ones but has done his research in this area. I do believe him to be truthful in this area as he had no horse in the race. _ Chris

chris_quilts 02-07-2012 05:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
As promise, here are pictures of Hotaru (firefly). Her serial # is B517288. Have never found JA # or JC # b- perhaps before that badging began. The front badge is exactly the same as Dawn's. I paid $50 for her approximately 1 1/2 years ago. The top picture is the machine; the middle picture is her badge; and the bottom is her green faux crocodile covered case.

DawnFurlong 02-07-2012 06:53 PM

Chris - she cleans up nice - pretty! Love the green crocodile case too! I'll have to start ordering the parts I need for her (power cord, foot controller cord - actually, think it could use a whole new foot pedal, new light and new tension assembly). And - I'll have to come up with a name. :-)

chris_quilts 02-07-2012 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong (Post 4953591)
Chris - she cleans up nice - pretty! Love the green crocodile case too! I'll have to start ordering the parts I need for her (power cord, foot controller cord - actually, think it could use a whole new foot pedal, new light and new tension assembly). And - I'll have to come up with a name. :-)

For names, I just googled Japanese names and there are loads of sites with them. I did briefly consider Eri which means blessed prize but liked the quirkiness of Hotaru for firefly. My other Japanese machine that's upstairs is names Kazumi - harmonious beauty. There are a bunch of unisex namnes as well on the site I used so there's always that option. What is the serial # for your machine? Just curious if it is lower or higher than mine.

Peacefirst 06-13-2015 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your machine is just like the one I bought, also 600. My case is brown though. And serial number starts with 54. I was wondering, if you have a manual?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522290[/ATTACH]

Rodney 06-14-2015 07:16 AM

Peacefirst it's good to see you're doing the research trying to find answers on your own. You might find you get better results by posting your questions all in one thread though. It will be easier for you to track responses that way at the very least.
The machine strongly resembles a Singer 201. A look at the underside will prove it one way or the other. Singer 201s had a fairly unique gear driven fully rotary hook assembly. If you don't see a gear drive then the underside is based on something else, most likely a 66. It will probably be a long while before you find an exact original manual. Singerco.com has manuals for 66s and 201s available as free downloads. The 201 manual is probably closest. It will at least show you how to thread the machine and how to adjust your tensions.
Rodney