Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Bel-air? What can you tell me...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/bel-air-what-can-you-tell-me-t189930.html)

harrishs 05-24-2012 06:22 PM

Bel-air? What can you tell me......

2 Attachment(s)
There was a little ad in today's paper for "antique sewing machine" so I called......she said she thought it was a Singer which is what I collect usually. Well, when I got there, she said she was wrong, it is a Bel Air and really sews good....I thought it was so pretty and appeared to have been so well taken care of----and she only wanted $30--------To me it looks like a clone of my 201----I know it was made in Japan but that is about all....and haven't found much on the net. Any information is really appreciated.

J Miller 05-24-2012 07:13 PM

Well, actually it's a copy of the Singer 66 and 15. And it's a literal twin to my Sewmor 404. It will take Class 66 bobbins and 15x1 needles and probably sew beautiful stitches.

Joe

harrishs 05-24-2012 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5241235)
Well, actually it's a copy of the Singer 66 and 15. And it's a literal twin to my Sewmor 404. It will take Class 66 bobbins and 15x1 needles and probably sew beautiful stitches.

Joe

Thanx, Joe!

Nanamoms 05-24-2012 08:53 PM

Well, she looks almost new and I love the decals on her! Everyone here says "clones are good"!!

chris_quilts 05-26-2012 06:53 PM

If she says "Made in Occupied Japan" on the label on her arm under the Los Angelesd part, then she's a twin to my Bel Air along with another gal's Bel Air. I don't have a manual buit she threads easily and sews through everything including military uniforms seams quite handily. I don't believe the feed dogs drop. I printed off an HA-1 manual from the internet for reference material but can't tell you where I got it. Mine came with mummified bugs and a mouse :D - hope yours is cleaner. PM me if you want more info.
Chris

Peacefirst 06-13-2015 11:04 PM

HA-1 manual doesn't have drop in bobbin directions, but everything else fits?

manicmike 06-14-2015 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms (Post 5241344)
Everyone here says "clones are good"!!

Not everyone. German versions of Singer machines are much better quality than the Japanese ones. The latter are a bit of a lottery: Some are good, some aren't. Original Singers are cheap and plentiful enough that if I want a 15 or 201, I'll buy an original. The Singers aren't the most sophisticated machines but are very consistent and original model 15s are always tougher than the Japanese copies, in my experience.
Japanese copies are usually colourful and dripping with chrome and this is why most people like them.
The only clone I have is a Seidel and Naumann MOP 15 clone.

Freaky_Quilts_Dragon 06-14-2015 02:05 AM

I love the zig-zag detailings, I've *never* seem a face plate that looks anything like that.

miriam 06-14-2015 04:25 AM

I didn't know they cloned the 201. Does that one have a drop in bobbin or a class 15 bobbin?

Rodney 06-14-2015 07:06 AM

If it's like the other BelAir posted it has a drop in class 66 bobbin. I really want to see the underside. If it's gear driven then it's a 201 clone. It could just as easily be based more on a 66 with a 15 style stitch length selector though.
Try Singerco.com for either a 66 or 201 manual. They're free downloads. The HA-1 manual will have different instructions for adjusting your tensions.
Rodney