Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Bernina minimatic 707 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/bernina-minimatic-707-a-t225230.html)

profannie 07-06-2013 06:47 AM

Bernina minimatic 707

I have a fancy to find a vintage Bernina but there is very few for sell in my area. Finally, one appear on my local craiglist and I'm supposed to go see it this afternoon. It's a 707 minimatic and it seems in excellent cosmetic shape. I found very few informations on the web about this machine; how it compare to, let say, a Bernina 730 record? Is the stitch quality supposed to be as good? What should I check to be sure it`s in adequate working order?
Not that I really need another machine... I already have a Singer 15-91 and a nice Vicking Tribute 140C. But I quilt and sew clothes for my children (often in the same period), so it seems I'm always changing the setting, the needle, the foot. I was a huge gain of time to get the Singer and let it set for piecing...
If I get this machine, I will also need an advise about where to hide another sewing machine... my husband find that 2 machine is already too much!

JudyTheSewer 07-06-2013 07:41 AM

The stitch quality will most certainly be as beautiful as the 730. The 707 does not have quite as many stitch selections but I never use much other than a straight stitch, zig zag and occasionally the blanket stitch so just a few stitch selections would be just fine with me.

A common issue with the older Berninas (700s, 800s, 900s) is that there is a nylon (? or some kind of plastic) gear on top that cracks and causes the machine to stick at that point. Both my 830 and 730 needed this gear replaced when I bought them. I think the cost was about $70 to have it repaired by a professional. As long as the motor sounds good I would not let that deter me from buying your machine. Hopefully you can do a bit of stitching even with a cracked gear (if this machine has that issue) so you can see what a wonderful machine it is.

Let us know if you buy it!

DanofNJ 07-06-2013 07:59 AM

I believe that the 707 is a 3/4 machine, 5 stitches, and no button hole cams in the machine. That said..I have two 802's which are very similar. They were Bernina's attempt at a featherweight for classes, etc which were very popular. They are heavy, but who cares... Nice machines. Use Triflow grease and oil for lubing. They should last forever but Judy is correct, they do have some plastic in them. The problem is, Bernina's factory was flooded in the 60's and there are no replacement parts they are making for the machines. You can find them, but you'll have to search and beg, especially with the dealers. Enjoy.

profannie 07-06-2013 08:46 AM

Thank you very much ladies for your help. I will let you know if I end up buying it.

profannie 07-07-2013 06:58 AM

Yipeee, I'm the proud owner of a cream and green vintage beauty!
The machine was owned by a lady in her eighties, who bought it new; she was the one and only user. She sew some clothing for herself and did some mending, but overall I believe it was very, very lightly used considering the pristine condition of the machine.
When I first tried it, it was grunting like an old bear. I though: there something wrong. Also, the speed was very slow, even with the pedal down. But it was stitching and the stiches were beautiful! I was puzzled. I asked the lady when it was oiled for the last time: she told me she didn't know she has to oiled it. Ok, maybe the poor thing is just thirsty. That would explain the grunting. I opened it; no rust, no crack on the gears, everything was looking fine. The lady was asking 100$ for it, and it was the first Bernina listed in my area in a whole year for less than 300$. Also she kept it for me 4 days before I was able to go try it, even if she add a lot of interest, and that was nice of her. For no rational reason I was sure it would be fine, so I took a chance and bought it.
This morning I cleaned it a bit and oiled it. I also discovered that there was a button to reduce the speed and the button was at low! I put it back to normal, tried the machine: purring like a kitten and stitching beautifully. What a nice machine! I already finished two kid's pant with it and I'm in love.
Thank again ladies for your good advice.

JudyTheSewer 07-07-2013 08:49 AM

You are very welcome. Thanks for sharing the story of your purchase. As you already know, they are great machines and you got one at a reasonable price. If you have any questions about your machine as time goes by, please visit this board again!

purplefiend 07-07-2013 06:36 PM

I had an 807 for several years, it was my take along machine for classes and sew-ins. I sold it to a friend and she loved it. I've been trying to find another one and keep getting outbid; I regret selling it.
Sharon

San Luis 07-07-2013 09:17 PM

I bought my Bernina 707 brand new in 1971 and she still sews like a dream. I keep her oiled, and I've always taken her in for cleaning and servicing every 1-2 years, depending on usage. She's been a hard-working reliable machine. My instruction manual is getting a little dog eared, but I still have to refer occasionally. You will love your machine.

profannie 07-08-2013 05:16 AM

The was not manual coming with my machine; I found one on the Bernina web site but the photos are dark. It's a bit of a problem to be sure I'm oiling it at the right place and everywhere it need to be. I know I have to stay away from electric components, but is there any other precaution to take?
I was born in the middle of the 70's, so my machine and me probably have about the same age. I think she is in better shape than me :D

frudemoo 07-08-2013 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by profannie (Post 6164136)
Yipeee, I'm the proud owner of a cream and green vintage beauty!

Congrats! I am in love with my Bernina 640-2 Favorit as well. Not sure how it compares to yours, but it's a cream and green beauty as well. Definitely a great machine for kids clothes as it doesn't fuss over fiddly starts or finishes. If it was a free-arm I'd probably sell all my others and call it a hands-down winner ;)