Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   bobbin cover for 185-J? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/bobbin-cover-185-j-t170809.html)

JMCDA 12-03-2011 12:49 PM

bobbin cover for 185-J?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All

i am going to look at this machine this evening - the bobbin cover/slide plate is missing and I am not sure where to look for a replacement, presuming there is one available?

any advice on how difficult it will be to find?

I just want something I can sew on without having to wait for hubby to fix it!

TIA
Joann

Nanamoms 12-03-2011 01:52 PM

The bobbin cover should be relatively easier to find. Try sew-classic.com or Jenny's. I just bought a machine like this but haven't had much time to play with it! Why OH Why, does life get in the way of our fun!!

JMCDA 12-03-2011 02:38 PM

Thanks Nanamoms, I'm not sure exactly what model this one is, hoping the piece is easy to replace...and I just noticed in the picture the thread post looks bent, hoping that is just the photograph and I can bring this one home, I have sewing to do for Christmas!

miriam 12-04-2011 03:28 AM

That might be a 185 - nice beast. I got a slide plate like it from Sew-classic - probably 7 or 8 bucks. (Get some class 66 bobbins - her's work better than WM or JoAnn's.) The slide plate is very easy to fix - you slide the new one in from under the needle through the spring piece on the lip of the machine and you are good to go.

fluffygirl 12-04-2011 04:58 PM

The slide plate is easy to find. Same one as used on a 66 or 99 or 192 for that matter. I had to replace the one on my 185 when I got it. I ordered it through a local sew/vac store.

Pat

miriam 12-05-2011 01:39 AM

you can buy spool pins too.

JMCDA 12-05-2011 06:48 AM

LOL, we were wondering about the spool pin yesterday...we still haven't seen the machine, the lady who owns it is sick, she called again yesterday and said she would bring the machine in the cabinet to my house today...I guess i will have to stand out in the rain and look at it in her van, I have an extension cord handy to plug it in, I'm not going to buy it without at least making sure it runs. My husband has to work today, so I will have to decide on my own if it is going to join the family.

Thanks all, will let you know how it goes!

Joann

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4752364)
you can buy spool pins too.

Candace 12-05-2011 07:59 AM

If it's bent you can hammer it (lightly) back into submission again. And check ebay for the plate.

Dottie Bug 12-05-2011 10:53 PM

I would tape a credit card to cover the bobbin and sew sew sew , get that x-mas stuff done , Dottie Bug

JMCDA 12-06-2011 07:09 PM

I would if I had it Dottie...I'm not sure if she decided not to sell it or what but we haven't heard from her since she said she would bring it by and didn't show up.....kind of disappointed :-(