Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Button hole attachments (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/button-hole-attachments-t190003.html)

Central Ohio Quilter 05-25-2012 01:36 PM

Button hole attachments

I just saw a garage sale with several old button hole attachments for sale, all with original boxes and some with instruction manuals. They were asking $4 for each one.

How much do these sell for? Does any one on here buy them in the "for sale" section?

Just wondering if I should go back tomorrow and get them, or forget it!

What are your ideas?

Mitch's mom 05-25-2012 02:01 PM

4.00 is about the going price. It will cost more to ship. Unless you need one ( they will work on some computerized low shank machines) leave them there. They do make gorgeous button holes.

J Miller 05-25-2012 02:25 PM

I buy everyone I get my hands on. I have: Singer, Greist, Kenmore, Domestic and in a variety of attaching methods.
Low shank, slant shank, clamp on,

You never know when they might come in handy.
It's just me, but they would have already been home with me. :)

Joe

Candace 05-25-2012 03:07 PM

Honestly, their like the chicken pox. Everyone gets them and doesn't want them. At least whoever I know. I think I may have like 6 or 7 sets that do nothing but collect dust. I have modern machines that do auto buttonholes so these relics just take up space.

If I were you, I'd keep walking and be thankful they didn't jump in your purse and multiply.

jljack 05-25-2012 03:14 PM

Haha!! Candace!! I have 4 of them, all different, and don't need any. They came with other stuff that I wanted but couldn't get without the extras!! :-)

J Miller 05-25-2012 04:15 PM

I can make dandy button holes with the attachments. But to save my soul I can't make a decent button hole with the built in button holers. My wife can, but then she's been doing this for a day or three longer than I have.

Joe

Charlee 05-25-2012 06:14 PM

I like the buttonholes better made with the vintage buttonholers than with the newer machines. That being said, if you don't make clothing or other items that need buttonholes, then how useful would it be?
I have 10...have not tested all of them yet, but use them when I make the spousal unit's Hawaiian shirts, or doll clothes. The eyelet cam for the buttonholer is cool too..I have fun with that one!

nanna-up-north 05-26-2012 04:10 AM

I love my vintage buttonholer. I agree that it makes a nicer buttonhole than my fancy 'new' machine. But, having said that, I often see them at auctions and flea markets but how many do you need? My one set does all I need so I pass at getting more of them.

J Miller 05-26-2012 05:46 AM

Q: How many do you need?

A: You need one for every machine. Not all machines take the same one.

J :) e

J Miller 05-26-2012 08:51 AM

Oh, one more comment; my local sewing machine guy sells complete button hollers for $20.00 each. So at $4.00 you have lots of lee way to resell them and make a buck. :D

Joe